Naval Sword Case

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by bumhole, Jul 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For reasons best not gone into, I have a brand new Wilkinson sword case. Blue thing, white interior, Size is 32 inch by 7 inch. Apparently one of the last ever made.

Im told its a naval cutlass case. Certainly my 1879 pattern Wilkie wont go in it!

Can anyone confirm that it is a cutlass case, and the the RN have small swords?

Or did Wilkinson make cake knives?

I would ask in the pussers bar, but I cant post there. :(

Attached Files:

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

An Officer's/MAA pussers stabbing stick is 31" long if memory serves, however it's probably about an inch longer when sheathed, so this would check out.

I doubt very much if it's for a rating's cutlass, they are cheaply made hunks of metal, you wouldn't bother putting one in a nice box. I don't think WS even made cutlasses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cheers, that sounds right. No idea why the rum-and-bum mob have short ones like cake knives.

4. Ravers

Go below decks on a ship and try winging a big f*ck off long sword around.

5. Useless sods don't ride a horse into battle either

6. Personally i like a bit of reach when i am toasting my crumpet.

7. Ravers

Given the honking quality of naval cutlasses (even ceremonial ones) I'd always just assumed they were made by baby stokers on their metalwork course out of melted down baked bean cans pilfered from the skips behind the galley.

Every day is a school day.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Somewhere in one of the Flashman books there is an excellent description of the Royal Navy and the mass use of cutlasses.

Quite made me proud.

Anyway, Im slapping the box on ebay before the wife slings it out.

9. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

The other option was a midshipman's dirk - back in the days when 'snotties' still existed. However, they seem to have been about 24" long, so way too short for this case.

British Royal Navy Midshipman's Dirk - Collector's Source, Military Collectibles Online

My choice of weapon would have been a boarding pike. 3 ft sword v 8 ft length of oak with sharp point on end - no contest.

pike-team.jpg

Wordsmith

10. Ravers

Middy's dirks were only 24" long because middys were children.

Bumhole, how much do you want for the case, it's quite likely I may have the need to purchase an RN Officer's sword in the not so distant future and this would be a nice touch.

11. Where are you? Its in Sydney australia.......

I put it on ebay earlier tonight, but to be honest its not about the money, I just thought it was too good to go in the skip.

12. Hang on though my dimensions are the outsides of the case, not the inside. The bit where the sword goes would be a lot smaller.

Wheres my tape.

OK, the blade recess is 23 inches long, and the entire sword, dirk, cutlass whatever, would be 28 inches from tip to end.

Edit a bit more. But the shape isn't right for a dirk like that. it must have a curved thin guard.

Edit even more, Some tosser on Ebray is going to pester me about what it is. :(

13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Like you do. AI's don't need a sword.

14. Ravers

Oh right, maybe not then!

Someone will have it, RAN swords are the same as RN ones.