Naval records WW1

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by sunami, Feb 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have access to any Naval records for the following?

2. Only thing I can find on Ancestry is a medal roll entry showing him having earned the British War Medal. I'll send you a copy if you PM me details of where to send it.
  3. PM sent. :)
  4. According to the records I can find he was only 15 at the start of WW1 & was an artificer on the Ark Royal.

5. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Two places it might be worth giving a quick ring are the National Maritime Museum and the National Archives (formerly the Public Records Office). They'll tell you what records they hold, although you might have to make a personal visit to access them.

They both keep naval records - in fact ADM188 is the Register of Seamen's Services at the National Archive. Here's the link to the NA information.

The National Archives | The Catalogue | Full Details | ADM 188

6. PM sent and email sent. Cheers.
  7. Thanks for the info, from that I discovered he was Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS), just need to find out which other ships he served on, particularly the one torpedoed in the Atlantic.
  8. Thanks for that.
  9. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

You might be interested in seeing if you can get hold of some of the Navy Record Society (NRS) publications from your local library.

Navy Records Society - publishers of original documents on the Royal Navy

There won't be anything directly related to the guy you are interested in, but there is one specific volume on the formation of the RNAS.

Documents relating to the Royal Naval Air Service

There are also a number of other volumes on aspects of RN history in WW1 - for example Jellicoe's papers.

The NRS material is interesting if you like seeing the original source material on which a lot of history books are based. They're not easy reads because they're collections of letters, official memoranda and reports. But if you're patient they can be quite interesting.

10. Thanks for that, I'll add them to an ever growing reading list.