Nav training public land, MLT cover?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Rocky_Yeti, Sep 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got a question that some one out there might be able to help me with. I have run a few 4 day navigation training exercises in snowdonia ( working out of Capel Curig ). When i took over the commiment from the last bloke who was running them was told that i needed to get a Q'd mountian leader to cover the training but have been trying to find out where this rule is laid down. I understand if it was advenrure training i would need cover but as this is military training (in civvies) and supported by a EASP as the covering documention do i need a ML at all? and if not where is it stated what i need or dont. Have been through all the TOPL paper work but is there a JSP that covers this kind of training.

Many thanks
  2. It's been a while, but as I recall MLT is only required for adventure rather than military training. If it is military navigation training supported by the usual array of EASPs, etc., done using military equipment and wearing uniform, etc, then you should not need to be MLT qualified. If it is navigation training you probably do need to be a qualified navigation instructor (all regular officers are automatically qualified).

If in doubt speak to the SO2 or SO3 G7 Trg at your parent Bde HQ who will be able to give you chapter and verse (I assume you have already consulted your Regt/Bn traing wing)
  3. :gulp:
  4. If its military trg in civvies it's adventure training. You need 1 MLT per 6 students your boss does MLT at sandhurst other than that you can request instructor support on the ATGA website.
    Also make sure you've got clearance to train on private land if in doubt phone Capel and ask them for help there usually very helpful.
  5. Thanks for the input. Spoke to the g7 at HQ 160Brig at Brecon who oversee all the training in Wales and even they say it's a bit of a grey area. Still trying to find where it states that if it's nav training in civvies it counts as AT? By that rule if naving around STANTA in civvies would count as AT
  6. Stanta is a trg area snowdonia isn't. I done a similar thing to you about 2 months ago again in snowdon and we had to have MLs for it.