Nautical Archaeology Thread

Another Dutch discovery, with incredibly well-preserved artefacts.

'Sometimes, shipwrecks appear out of what seems to be merely sand. For more than 350 years, a ship lay unseen just off the Dutch island of Texel in the southeastern part of the North Sea, known as the Wadden Sea.

'Hidden for centuries at a depth of nearly 30 feet, the so-called Burgzand Noord 17 wreck unexpectedly materialized on the seabed several years ago. A bit of the vessel and some artifacts were first spotted by members of a local amateur diving club in 2009, but it was not until 2014 that more of the ship and its cargo began to emerge. Because of the shifting nature of the seafloor and the need to protect the wreck and its contents from further illegal exploration, the artifacts from the site—which would eventually number more than 1,000—were quickly removed.'

Global Cargo - Archaeology Magazine

Moving sands do strange things. I used to fly over the Solway Firth ( for work) nearly every day for five years, and got to know ( I thought) all the landmarks.
One afternoon in spring 1998 whilst flying offshore of Anthorn I spotted an outline of what looked a bit like an aircraft wing. Over the next 3 or four tides this revealed itself to be what I found out to be a Lockheed Hudson ( one of quite a few that ditched after engine failure after taking off from silloth.
A couple of us were going to head out in a boat at low tide for a gander when Dave Couling who flew from Kirkbride, ( and an EOD man) spelt out to us what fifty plus years of salt water was likely to have done to the fuzeing on the various bangy things on board.
We listened to him rather than the emperor and the sands reclaimed their own again within a couple more tides. To reappear no doubt at some time in the future.!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not archaeology as such, but an interesting piece of maritime history about to be lost, as one of the 3 remaining Foxtrot-Class submarines is about to be scrapped.

'After more than 20 years, the former Soviet submarine B-143 Foxtrot has left its berth in the port of Zeebrugge, heading for the breaker’s yard in Ghent.'

Soviet sub leaves Zeebrugge after 23 years as museum attraction

Last edited: