Nautical Archaeology Thread

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I go through a lot of articles and reports in the field of Nautical Archaeology, both professionally and because I get a geeky thrill from them. Many of which I think you lot would rather enjoy especially those of a Naval bent. So I shall use this thread for any articles that catch my eye for further dissemination. Feel free to add your own

For a start, an article on HMAS Sydney & HSK Kormoran:

http://www.argunners.com/expedition-to-hsk-kormoran-hmas-sydney-and-its-battle/

From the same site but with video footage:

http://www.argunners.com/new-images-of-hmas-sydney-confirm-fate-killing-645/

Last edited:

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Fascinating, keep 'em coming.

The Sydney wreck needs further exploration to discover what actually sank her. From memory of various reading she was last seen steaming away wreathed in flame, so perhaps ultimately a magazine explosion. Anyone who got away would have been shark meat.

In the Kenya case, these very old wrecks are of international significance and I hope the Kenyans, given their admitted shortage of qualified people, are not above calling on the international community to help. I fear 'tourism' will lead top massive theft of artefacts and the complete loss if the story. Information on 17th century Portuguese shipbuilding technique will be particularly valuable.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fascinating, keep 'em coming.

The Sydney wreck needs further exploration to discover what actually sank her. From memory of various reading she was last seen steaming away wreathed in flame, so perhaps ultimately a magazine explosion. Anyone who got away would have been shark meat.

In the Kenya case, these very old wrecks are of international significance and I hope the Kenyans, given their admitted shortage of qualified people, are not above calling on the international community to help. I fear 'tourism' will lead top massive theft of artefacts and the complete loss if the story. Information on 17th century Portuguese shipbuilding technique will be particularly valuable.
Yep I'm getting more academic interest in the boatbuilding side, and one of the areas of investigation, for me anyway, is too have a closer look at Maritime History and Archaeology in Africa, definitely an area ripe in opportunity.

Can I be the first to mention HMS Tamar the wreck of which was recently rediscovered in Wanchai, Hong Kong ?

I'll post a link when I'm not on my iphone

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Trailer for the book on the French Sub Surcouf

The author will be giving a lecture at HNC Devonport soon, worth a squint if you're about

The talk is on the 13th, and the book is out next year.

Last edited:

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
when I was up in the Shetlands, I was told about a WW1 wreck of a Submarine, its just off UNST
they reckon you could see it when the sea was a bit lazy, the local plod caught some blokes diving on it and nicking bits
it was just outside balta sound
never saw it meself as I dont like water !

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Gun carriage from the London has been raised: http://historicengland.org.uk/news-and-features/news/race-against-time-to-raise-gun-carriage-from-the-london-wreck

Fascinating for those who are interested in the Navy during the 17th Century
As a coda to this, the City paid for a replacement, the 'Loyall London'. Unfortunately C II, through spending money on his women rather than the navy (I always think that he felt we'd given him a pretty nasty start what with offing his papa and chasing him up a tree etc) let the Dutch burn the LL down in the Medway. The Govt asked the City to pay for another LL but the response was that the last one hadn't been looked after very well. So the next London was paid for by the Govt but didn't have the prefix 'Loyal'. I think we have got through thirteen HMS Londons to date.

P2000

LE
As a coda to this, the City paid for a replacement, the 'Loyall London'. Unfortunately C II, through spending money on his women rather than the navy (I always think that he felt we'd given him a pretty nasty start what with offing his papa and chasing him up a tree etc) let the Dutch burn the LL down in the Medway. The Govt asked the City to pay for another LL but the response was that the last one hadn't been looked after very well. So the next London was paid for by the Govt but didn't have the prefix 'Loyal'. I think we have got through thirteen HMS Londons to date.
If you've not read it, NAM Rodger's "Command of the Ocean" is fascinating on the finances of the Republican and Restoration navies. To summarise, Chaz II was very knowledgeable on the subject of the navy and did a lot to turn it into a serious player in the European balance of power. It was, however, very expensive and an easy target for Parliament which didn't really understand what a navy was for or that they were expensive.

Plus ca change.

Back to nautical archaeology, an oldie but a goodie - the Alderney Wreck. I hadn't realised there was a a whole website with details on it: http://www.alderneywreck.com

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hahaha.... read through some of the comment!

Spams in a consequent sudden frenzy of claiming Norse descent....
Yep, barking the lot of them.

Latest Threads