Naturalised - Reserve advice

Hi everyone,

Just received my naturalisation confirmation and before signing up for reserves I'd appreciate some advice.

I'm almost 40, software engineer trained with a Master's from a UK university, with prior military experience and currently in (what I consider) great shape. Since I spent many years growing up in the UK, English is my native tongue, so there's no language barrier. I live in South London.

Why am I doing it? Because that's my way of giving back. Going through basic training after so many years feels strange, but it's too short for me to really feel negatively about :)

First of all, would my prior military experience at a foreign army pose any issue?

Second, I read through online material including this forum, but I am well aware of complexities in organisations of this magnitude in terms of structure etc, so I'd appreciate suggestions for specific units/roles.

The unit is the most important factor for me. Mainly looking to serve in units with like minded individuals who are in the same stage of their life and will be there for the long run, allowing for some real bonds to be made. It would be highly appreciated if member's could provide details and share experiences about such units.

As for the roles, I work in front of the screen all day so would prefer to be outdoors. Bonus point for nothing too brain dead. Engineering & infantry seem to have interesting paths. I have no cyber experience so that is ruled out. All RAF roles which are interesting are restricted to British born & non dual citizens. Paras/Royal marines are ruled out due to age, but I don't mind the challenge of commando tests.

Apologies for the rant and thanks in advance!

Hi,

I read that post prior to making this thread. My question regarding previous experience in a foreign military isn't answered, and the unit section doesn't address my question sufficiently.

Thank you!

Hi,

I read that post prior to making this thread. My question regarding previous experience in a foreign military isn't answered, and the unit section doesn't address my question sufficiently.

Thank you!

Which unit should I join?​

• Short answer: Your local one.

They will answer all of your questions.

Hi everyone,

Just received my naturalisation confirmation and before signing up for reserves I'd appreciate some advice.

I'm almost 40, software engineer trained with a Master's from a UK university, with prior military experience and currently in (what I consider) great shape. Since I spent many years growing up in the UK, English is my native tongue, so there's no language barrier. I live in South London.

Why am I doing it? Because that's my way of giving back. Going through basic training after so many years feels strange, but it's too short for me to really feel negatively about :)

First of all, would my prior military experience at a foreign army pose any issue?

Second, I read through online material including this forum, but I am well aware of complexities in organisations of this magnitude in terms of structure etc, so I'd appreciate suggestions for specific units/roles.

The unit is the most important factor for me. Mainly looking to serve in units with like minded individuals who are in the same stage of their life and will be there for the long run, allowing for some real bonds to be made. It would be highly appreciated if member's could provide details and share experiences about such units.

As for the roles, I work in front of the screen all day so would prefer to be outdoors. Bonus point for nothing too brain dead. Engineering & infantry seem to have interesting paths. I have no cyber experience so that is ruled out. All RAF roles which are interesting are restricted to British born & non dual citizens. Paras/Royal marines are ruled out due to age, but I don't mind the challenge of commando tests.

Apologies for the rant and thanks in advance!
Why don't you try your local Army Reserve Royal Signals Regiment. You will still be able to do warry stuff out in the field but have the background to do the technical stuff.

RaiderBoat

War Hero
As long as you don’t lord your previous military experience over anyone, it won’t even be an issue. Unless it precludes you from service, no one really cares.

If you were good, it will show: Keep your mouth shut and let your Actions do the Talking.

That just depends. If that service was with the Russians or Chinese or the Taliban it just might.

Hi,

Thank you!

There have been a few I met over the years who in a youthful quest for adventure joined the French Foreign Legion for a stint before coming back to join the British Army. I knew an Australian who came over on exchange with a commando unit for a couple of years, decided he liked it so stayed and joined the Royal Marines. According to my nephew he knew two, or three South Africans who signed off over there, came over and joined in the UK. Just on the foreign nationality side: Fijians seem to get lost on their way home from the pub back home and end up in the UK and join the Army. I worked with a couple of Jamaicans, and a bloke from Belize who had all come over to join up. I think the bloke from Belize had been in the Belize Defence Force. Throw in a couple of Canadians, one American and a Pakistani and you see there are all sorts.

Good luck with it all.

Latest Threads