Natural to be nervous?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Charlesischarge, Jul 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's bugging me a little bit of how nervous I am about approaching the army to become an officer. I'm physically fit with times in the excellent margins set out by the army. But now I've finished Uni I'm getting pangs of self doubt is this natural or do I have an issue to sort out first? I really want this I've been training the last two years of my uni course and its all i can think about.
  2. Spoonful of cement mate.
  3. I think you just nailed it, I'll go and find my balls.
  4. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Best advice about leadership and confidence I ever heard was the duck-on-water analogy.

On the surface you appear calm, collected - serene, even. Whereas underneath the little legs are going ten to the dozen.

In other words, we all get nervous, we all have moments where we're literally swamped with all manner of tasking, priorities and commitments - and it's only natural that you will worry about these things. To have no worry or fear, shows a potential lack of respect for the situation.

I'm sure if you keep that in mind, you'll be fine. Remember, nobody expects you to start quoting Field Marshal Slim on day one. You'll have a hard enough job trying to iron your kit without producing inadvertent tram lines, trust me.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Oh, and trust in your Warrants and Seniors. They'll keep you on the staight and narrow.
  6. Go for it. Ill give you the other end of the scale. Im leaving Army next week after 25 years. And i realised tonight that "**** me im out next week"! Its a new chapter in your life which if you do as your told and like DC says, take on board advice from others, you will thoroughly enjoy both the good as well as the crap times, i wouldnt of changed anything!
  7. After having seen your avatar, I think not!
  8. As Cus D'Amato the famous boxing trainer stated "The coward and the hero both feel the same feelings (of fear), the only difference between the two is that the hero handles the feelings, and the coward does not"

So accept its just normal reaction by the body, pumping you full of adrenalin in readiness to achieve your goal, a goal that is going to be bloody hard to achieve. The Duck syndrome as posted previously is a good explanation.

So to use another quote by a certain Mike Tyson who was trained early on by Cus "I'm scared everytime i go into the ring, but its how you handle it. What you have to do is bite down on your gumshield and say 'lets go'. (i would advise removal of gumshield if having to give a lecture etc :)
  9. I did 30 years and I was still having daily pangs of self doubt when I wept my way to civvie street. Some sound advice on here already, that from DC (despite the avatar)is particularly useful, Whatever; good luck and live each day as your last!
    • Like Like x 1

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I've met and worked with a fair few officers who could have done with the occasional pang of self doubt.

It's normal but you don't need to have 'trained for two years' and if it's all you can think about you need to chill. Why not go backpacking for a month and broaden your experience by doing something different? You'll be the better for it and, since the army has quite sufficient two-dimensional obsessives already, it'll stand you in good stead when the time comes.
  11. Now THAT is good advice.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. And the week-end before your sortie to Westbury lose yourself entirely in something different. If you're a climber, go sailing....