Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bowser-Mong, Feb 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting piece in t' Sunday Telegraph today berating certain NATO countries ie Germany and other non-entities ( my choice of wording) of not contributing to the ongoing effort in Afghanistan. The German Ambassador to Britain, Wolfgang Ischinger, said that Germans had been told that "their military had done many horrible things it was hard to persuade them to get involved in another conflict". Yet the Nazi era has been all but eradicated from German schools?! Convenient excuse I suppose.

To that end is NATO in danger of becoming a "hasbeen" now that certain countries don't want to commit but are still happy to benefit from the sacrifice made by those that do?
  2. Have just discussed this with the Manchild and we are both the opinion that the reason these "other" countries, ie Germany arent contirbuting to the ongoing efforts in Afghanistan is simply because they dont want to, Whether they have done horrible things is neither here nor there, they should be made to contribute whether they want to or not.

NATO are meant to give military aid to anyone that needs needs it, its a multi national organisation. I suppose like a giant multi national police force, so why should certain countries be allowed to waive such a duty just because they simple dont want to?
  3. Article 5

The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

The Washington Treaty was a compromise: while the obligation to come to the aid of an Ally under attack was automatic, the treaty's wording allowed Allies the freedom to choose the nature of their response.