Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

#1
June 6, 2010
Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers
Michael Smith and Peter Warren
RECOMMEND? (1)
NATO is considering the use of military force against enemies who launch cyber attacks on its member states.

The move follows a series of Russian-linked hacking against Nato members and warnings from intelligence services of the growing threat from China.

A team of Nato experts led by Madeleine Albright, the former US secretary of state, has warned that the next attack on a Nato country “may well come down a fibre-optic cable”.

A report by Albright’s group said that a cyber attack on the critical infrastructure of a Nato country could equate to an armed attack, justifying retaliation.
More
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article7144856.ece
 
#2
What sort of response? An airstrike perhaps?

I don't know what the hacker's next-door neighbours will think of it......
 
#3
Skynet said:
June 6, 2010
Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers
Michael Smith and Peter Warren
RECOMMEND? (1)
NATO is considering the use of military force against enemies who launch cyber attacks on its member states.

The move follows a series of Russian-linked hacking against Nato members and warnings from intelligence services of the growing threat from China.

A team of Nato experts led by Madeleine Albright, the former US secretary of state, has warned that the next attack on a Nato country “may well come down a fibre-optic cable”.

A report by Albright’s group said that a cyber attack on the critical infrastructure of a Nato country could equate to an armed attack, justifying retaliation.
More
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article7144856.ece
How else does it come by fucking semaphore!
 
#4
Never mind the neighbours think of the glory.
 
#5
Given that the majority of NATO members aren't up for any kind of strike against people committing hostile acts against their own soldiers then I doubt very much that we are going to get the (mostly European) NATO membership green lighting any strikes against cyber attackers. Happy to hear otherwise from anyone who does reckon that NATO does have the cojones for this one.

whf
 
#6
I assume NATO militaries have some form of cyber counterstrike capability? They're not necessarily talking of bombing or ground attack.
 
#8
NATO is going on strike because of hacking?

Hmmmmm!

Interesting. BA flossies are at it because of loss of travel perks. Being hacked is a new one on me.
 

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#9
whitecity said:
NATO is going on strike because of hacking?

Hmmmmm!

Interesting. BA flossies are at it because of loss of travel perks. Being hacked is a new one on me.
They must be hacked off.
 
#10
I don't know why The Times thinks this is newsworthy. Planners have been debating this for years. My guess is that some fat and lazy journo has finally gotten around to reading the report, which was published back on the 17th of May.
 
#11
smartascarrots said:
I assume NATO militaries have some form of cyber counterstrike capability? They're not necessarily talking of bombing or ground attack.
US Cyber Command

USCYBERCOM plans, coordinates, integrates, synchronizes, and conducts activities to: direct the operations and defense of specified Department of Defense information networks and; prepare to, and when directed, conduct full-spectrum military cyberspace operations in order to enable actions in all domains, ensure US/Allied freedom of action in cyberspace and deny the same to our adversaries.
Almost forgot to add:

HUAAAA
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top