Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jun 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. June 6, 2010
    Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers
    Michael Smith and Peter Warren
    RECOMMEND? (1)
    NATO is considering the use of military force against enemies who launch cyber attacks on its member states.

The move follows a series of Russian-linked hacking against Nato members and warnings from intelligence services of the growing threat from China.

A team of Nato experts led by Madeleine Albright, the former US secretary of state, has warned that the next attack on a Nato country “may well come down a fibre-optic cable”.

A report by Albright’s group said that a cyber attack on the critical infrastructure of a Nato country could equate to an armed attack, justifying retaliation.
    More
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article7144856.ece

2. What sort of response? An airstrike perhaps?

I don't know what the hacker's next-door neighbours will think of it......

3. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

How else does it come by fucking semaphore!

4. Never mind the neighbours think of the glory.

5. Given that the majority of NATO members aren't up for any kind of strike against people committing hostile acts against their own soldiers then I doubt very much that we are going to get the (mostly European) NATO membership green lighting any strikes against cyber attackers. Happy to hear otherwise from anyone who does reckon that NATO does have the cojones for this one.

whf

6. I assume NATO militaries have some form of cyber counterstrike capability? They're not necessarily talking of bombing or ground attack.

7. [​IMG]

A nice game of chess.

8. NATO is going on strike because of hacking?

Hmmmmm!

Interesting. BA flossies are at it because of loss of travel perks. Being hacked is a new one on me.

9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

They must be hacked off.

10. I don't know why The Times thinks this is newsworthy. Planners have been debating this for years. My guess is that some fat and lazy journo has finally gotten around to reading the report, which was published back on the 17th of May.

11. US Cyber Command

Almost forgot to add:

HUAAAA