Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by pmc_abo, Jun 12, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Can anyone help.

    My passport has just been found in the washing machine. it is useless. I need to get back to my unit next weekend (sat or Sun) and UKPA cannot get me a replacement prior to the 20th June at the v earliest.

    As my unit is overseas, is it possible to get a NATO travel order from another Unit or is there an alternative? I am hoping to drive my car back via France, so bluffing it at Stansted is not an option.

    Any advice on an alternative to using a passport, and how do I get a NATO travel order.

  2. Good CO

    Good CO LE Admin

    Overseas where? I've flown back from Germany using my MOD 90 before. Eurozone! No NATO travel order requirement. Other Euro-folk can visit UK using their national ID cards (wouldn't that be handy?) which is effectively what your MOD90 is.
  3. I am hoping to drive my car back via France, so bluffing it at Stansted is not an option.

    Obviously, that is the last option. But could seriously do with a legitimate and short term solution...can I approach a unit in London for eg and pick up a NATO travel order.
  4. Good CO

    Good CO LE Admin

    It's not a last option - it's totally legitimate as far as I'm aware. Open borders. I ask where overseas as I assume when you say via, that you're outside France to start with.
  5. Although an ID card may work sometimes, officially it's not enough. You can get a NATO Travel Order from your nearest Unit's Admin Office or from your nearest ACIO. Explain what happened, get them to phone your unit to confirm that you aren't AWOL and they will issue you one.
  6. This has happened to me in the past. Don't know what you have been told but UKPA CAN issue a passport SAME DAY if necessary.

    However you will need to get yourself to a Passport Office and you WILL pay through the nose for the privilege. The link below will give you all the info you should need.

    Urgent Passport Applications

    However, if it is a NATO country you are travelling to, your MOD90, as GCO has mentioned, should be sufficient.
  7. You could always get your unit to fax you a copy, this was done for one of the blokes just recently, but i seem to remember for you to travel through France on a NATO travel order the French Embassy are to be informed, this is up to the unit to arrange, but that may have finished with the open border.
  8. I am in Uk, my unit is in Germany. I am under impression that French immigration will not be happy to let either a (a) a wrecked British passport or (b) the ferry company either will not allow me to travel.

    Eseentially I need info on how to get a NATO travel order/Does France accept them.

    MOD 90 bluff is really my very last resort, as I do not want to be turned away from ferry port by an immigration official having bought a ticket.
  9. Good CO

    Good CO LE Admin

    I stand corrected - France / Germany is not an issue but we're not part of the "Schengen Agreement", so PP's right an ID card is not enough.
  10. not to burst your bubble but from experience and france being not a nato member they are not generally very helpful when presented with a nato travel order and an id card
    best bet to fly to germany with id card and nato travel order should be no problem at all (i have done this several times my self) or use the harwich - hamburg ferry same deal
    hope this helps
  11. NATO Travel Orders are not officially valid for France. Belgium and Holland - yes - but you know what the French are like!

    Having said that I have blagged my way through before now - usually they see the British numberplate on your car and just wave you through.

  12. Duck has the answer. Get yourself to a passport office (doing it by post WILL take 10 days) take your washed-out passport, chequebook, completed forms (don't forget countersigned photos) and they can do it in a couple of hours. It's always handy if you phone them beforehand - You must make an appointment before calling at one of the offices by phoning the Passport Adviceline on 0870 521 0410.

    Regional Offices:


    I used to do this as part of my job many years ago.
  13. For what its worth, I turned up at Dover last year for a camping holiday mit Mrs Askar-periskan und kinder and guess who forgot his passport. Bit of a flap than produced MOD 90, quick check with immigration, via the phone by counter staff, who asked - does he look like the phot - they answered yes - and away we went. However still haven't lived it down - ohh your so good at admin etc etc etc .
  14. hi m8, im new to this board but there is a way to get back quick i know i did it once. You can get a nato travel order and get a military flight back in from RAF Brize Norton, i did once in 1987. God thats going back a few years but you can still do it or just use normal id.
    The RAF are pretty accomodating and should be able to put you on numerous planes going there. Give em a call i reckon you could be back in the next 12 hours.