NATO to close bases in economy, efficiency drive

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fantassin, Jun 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks like Northwood has been saved even though it was seen as likely to be closed last week....

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - NATO, in the midst of extended air strikes in Libya, will trim the number of its major bases from 11 to seven to cut costs and duplication, the alliance said on Thursday.

The move, which will include the closure of the joint force command in Lisbon -- one of three such installations -- and transforming the air base at Izmir in Turkey into a land command, would cut more than 4,000 posts.

Land bases at Heidelberg in Germany and Madrid will close, as will a naval base at Naples in Italy.

As compensation to Portugal for the loss of the Lisbon base, it will be the location for a deployable naval headquarters, NATO officials said.

Joint command headquarters will remain at Brunssum in the Netherlands and at Naples in Italy, while the main maritime headquarters will be at Northwood in Britain and the main air command at Ramstein in Germany.

In announcing the agreement, reached at a meeting of NATO defence ministers on Wednesday night, NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said it would make the 28-nation alliance "leaner, more flexible," as well as "more affordable."

A NATO statement said the reforms would mean a reduction in headquarters posts from 13,000 to 8,800.

NATO to close bases in economy, efficiency drive | World | Reuters

2. I believe the days of the alliance are numbered.

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

NATO might close a couple but the yanks will stay put, interesting that canada thinks it needs to find overseas bases.

some politics to keep northwood open considering lisbon is cheaper to run, on the bloody atlantic and a newer facility - so I'm told.

4. Question? I'm quite near to Northwood. If it was to close as a NATO base in the future, would it really affect it because we seem to use it as a headquarters for UK forces operations as well as NATO adventures. For instance, I seem to remember when the Falklands campaign was being fought, which was obviously not a NATO operation, there were references to Northwood in terms of where those who were directing the war were based.

5. Grumblegrunt

its more of a - 'we're more important than you kind of status card' than a manpower one but it would have given good reason to close it and flog the real estate off.

6. Sounds about right. Keep open bases/HQs in the nations that contribute to operations, and shut those in countries who actually give **** all, but gain jobs for their economies from having the bases there.

7. Grumblegrunt

its a 70's throwback though back when our job was convoy protection, be a huge american aircraft carrier and a supplier of ineffectual tank armies.

I can imagine Dr Fox - 'yes yes its allright we will sort the carrier thing out - honest'

8. But Lisbon is to become the location for a deployable naval headquarters instead. Unless of course that`s just a grand name for a fishing boat.

So it would appear they`re only rearranging the deck chairs in Lisbon.

9. Happy with that, but only when Portugal actually commit troops to ops. Until then they can fcuk off.

10. Grumblegrunt

I think they are still traumatised by the 30,000 troops we sent there in the 1800s to dig the place over a bit.

surely a deployable naval headquarters needs a deployable navy to do that. we wouldnt have gotten that gig

• Like Like x 1
  11. My point exactly.

12. Agreed, but they ain`t got no money now & wars always cost lots of money & lives.

13. Since when ? Lots of units exist only on paper as Hitler discovered in April 1945.

14. So why give them the jobs that go with a massive NATO HQ? They contribute **** all = they get **** all from it.

15. Northwood is prime real estate. Most of residential Northwood ranges from quite wealthy to very wealthy and the ground would be worth a huge amount.