NATO State to invade Syria

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Kromeriz, Aug 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not the best time to start a new thread. However, Turkey has stated that Syria is now regarded as an internal matter and will act appropriately.

What would be the ramifications of a NATO state invading another country?

Given that some NATO countries suggested that Turkey not buy Chinese weaponry, and that France has stopped Turkish membership of NATO, will Turkey leave NATO and go it alone, hence maybe, the reason for the departure of the Generals...

Syria's neighbours building a coalition against Assad's government - Telegraph
  2. France has stopped Turkish NATO membership?

I dont think so
  3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Me thinks you mean EU membership?
  4. What are the ramifications of a NATO country invading another? **** all.

Google Grenada or Panama. It's hard enough to get a NATO response when you're invaded (see The Falklands) let alone when you invade someone else.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. I imagine the rest of NATO will wish them well and the Americans and Israelis might provide intel and possibly some covert support but will leave the Turks to it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Best of luck to em, its not the Armenians they're invading so we don't need to worry that much. If they can stop the damage and reduce the threat of Islamisation then good. Of course Turkey is starting to loose that modernity with Islamic Parties.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Turkey took a 10km or so strip over the border, so that Syrians fleeing the crackdown could be stuck in tents on Syrian soil. It's all old Ottoman Empire territory.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. I think I should change my name to numbnuts. I meant EU membership...
  9. Dont see what anyone could do if Turkey did invade Syria, no one bleated very loudly over Cyprus did they and the Turks still hold the norhern part. Anyway I like old Johnny Turk, good bloke in a ruck.
  10. Unlikely Syria will be invaded unless there is split in armed forces and civil war. Syrian army is much better than the cardboard cutouts in Libya. Any invasion by forces without US EW and other air capabilities will get a bloody nose. Turks could beat Syria, but I see no reason for them to launch full scale war without themselves being threatened. likely many more deaths in Syria before Assad regains control, or a tipping point against him, then all bets are off.

Ramifications of Turkey as a NATO member are not much. They were only ever in NATO to provide a tripwire for any Soviet advance into mideast from Caucasus. I think even if Belgium invaded Syria it wouldn't matter one bit. Be very very interesting though.......
  11. I would refer the right hon Member to the little matter of 1974, when the Turks and the Greeks had more than a little tiff over a certain island in the eastern Mediterranean. Both were NATO members. Both remained NATO members afterwards. Did not stop them knocking seven shades of shit out of each other.

Personally, cannot see why the Turks would do this save, as suggested above, a bit of a land grab near their border where there may be some semi-reasonable claims of ethnic linkages. Don't overrate the Syrian army. Whatever its theoretical capabilities, the vast bulk is positioned down in the south in the eternal face-off with the Israelis. They would find it very difficult, both logistically and politically, to strip them out of there.
  12. Turkey's reason for intervening is that they are having to manage the flood of refugees fleeing Syria.
  13. It would be very interesting indeed. Turkey has a massive army and last time I was at their MOD - about 6 years ago - they were busy modernising it and retooling up.
  14. I saw something of the Syrian armed forces while I was there; in particular an airbase outside Hama where knackered-looking MiGs sat about in the sun and what looked like an armour school near Homs where knackered old T-62s... etc.

I met a few soldiers on public transport, they were very friendly chaps, especially an enormously fat NCO who wanted me to go to his house for some reason.

There's a big propaganda museum in northern Damascus dedicated to the extraordinary Syrian victory in the Yom Kippur War (cough).
  15. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Turkey has given Syria a 2 week ultimatum to stop the killing and threatens to act in defence of Turkish interests if Syria fails to comply.

The last time the Turks did this they deployed the Army to the border and Syria backed down.