NATO - Should we still accept this organisation?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MBLU, Oct 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The North Atlantic Treaty Alliance's creation was part of a broader effort to serve three purposes: deterring Soviet expansionism, forbidding the revival of nationalist militarism in Europe through a strong North American presence on the continent, and encouraging European political integration.

As all these aim's have been met why does NATO still have to exist?

2. To piss you off?

• Like Like x 3
  3. To prevent us being subsumed into the EU **** Heer Army?

4. it's another way to get crap medals I suppose.

5. Nato acts as a buffer zone, a safety net of sorts that prevents us from being drawn too far into agreements / treaties that would be to our disadvantage.

I suppose the law of unintended consequences gets the hat tip for that one.

6. Not sure about your wording

Look at the number of applicant countries if you think NATO has run its course.

7. Although after the trauma (and it really was) of working within the cesspool of ineptitude, egos and inefficiency that is a NATO deployed HQ you are then told that you can't even wear the (somewhat cheap and almost cardboard looking) medal that you are awarded.

8. "Afghanistan has shown that NATO military forces are not up to the job, noted Shea. So the first priority NATO faces is adding troops. " quote from Jamie Patrick Shea. Also "Shea, who once called selling a war to the media "the ultimate PR challenge" .
    In an age when our forces are being sold-out to fit into the global economy I just feel as soldiers we should ask some of the bigger questions.

9. Well it saved our arrse big time when it was needed so I wouldn't be too quick to bury it.

And I would't be too quick to ignore the ambitions of Putin and his kleptocracy either.

10. Calls himself "Jamie Patrick Shea" now, does he? Why? To sound less British in the Brussels environment? Or was there already another Jamie Shea when he embarked on his career as an author?

11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Only a guess, but to stop it all from unravelling?

12. Unravelling? So you need a North American presence for that? Or the bit about Euro political integration? If that fails we need NATO?

13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Better the devil you know.

What would you propose as a replacement?

14. That's the point of my thread - do we still want to be USA's poodle in NATO or is it time for change? The politicians have made the first moves on the current UK General's and the discredited ex-General's. Should we attack/sack the troop's to fit into the current agenda? Or ask how we are in this postion.

15. Let us rise up and break the shackles of overbearing American domination. After all, who needs Uncle Sam when you've got Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania in your corner?

• Like Like x 2