Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NATO naval operations in peacetime

Yokel

LE
The deployment of British and other forces to Poland and Eastern Europe is quite rightly regarded as an operation - and an important one in the new age of Violent Peace. Likewise, most would consider that NATO air policing missions, and ISTAR activities, are important. The RAF contributions are part of the defence effort and contribute to deterrence and reassurance.

However - NATO exists at sea as well as on land. It is of course named after an Oceanic area.

Do the media consider these things as the Royal Navy contributing to NATO operations - nothing that deterrence requires constant effort:

Freedom of navigation and ASW operations in the 'high North' - such as exercises near Iceland a few months ago and more recent activities in Arctic waters?

Amphibious/Littoral activities in the Northern and Southern flanks - I am of course referring to the deployment of HMS Albion and other forces to the Baltic and Norway earlier this year, and the current deployment to the Mediterranean and Black Sea?

Carrier based group exercises (GROUPEX) - American and Dutch warships will join the British task group led by HMS Queen Elizabeth?

I assume that the full range of operational capabilities will be demonstrated. The UK has declared that it will provide that capability to NATO - as part of securing the Atlantic.

CASD, Kipion (in the Gulf), and Forward Presence continue.

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
In fairness to the Senior Service, you can secure the column inches if you put your mind to it, though I'm not sure whether it should be classed as a Littoral Activity or a Group Exercise...:

In fairness to the Senior Service, you can secure the column inches if you put your mind to it, though I'm not sure whether it should be classed as a Littoral Activity or a Group Exercise...:

She looks like a naughty little minx. Who says that 'men don't make passes at girls with glasses'?

This paragraphs in the article made I larf:

"it seems certain multiple careers will be sunk"

"Something seriously wrong happened on HMS Vigilant and we are trying to the the bottom of it."

Who would thought it on a submarine.

"Something seriously wrong happened on HMS Vigilant and we are trying to the the bottom of it." .....Quite so.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
She looks like a naughty little minx. Who says that 'men don't make passes at girls with glasses'?

This paragraphs in the article made I larf:

"it seems certain multiple careers will be sunk"

"Something seriously wrong happened on HMS Vigilant and we are trying to the the bottom of it."

Who would thought it on a submarine.

Realistically, they can pretty much do whatever they want to as long as everyone keeps schtum.

Yokel

LE
This was intended as a serious thread, after all BATO depends on transatlantic reinforcement to make the conventional forces deployed in Eastern Eurooe viable as a deterrent. As such naval exercises and activities in the North Atlantic contribute to the NATO mission.

As they did during the Cold War.

WhiskeyTango

Old-Salt
The only reason why the media is interested in the current NATO groubd missions is because of the human factor (mingling with locals) or because of the tension factor it stirs uo with Russia.

The media doesn't really care what pte bloggs is doing in poland and they wobt care that a ship full of sailors is sailing somewhere, until some real tension kicks off. When vlad sends a carrier group through the channel again, the newspapers will be reinvigorated in maritime reporting.

Yokel

LE
It will be a long time before a Russian carrier sails anywhere, but Moscow's submarine and air activity continues unabated and carries an unspoken message.

WhiskeyTango

Old-Salt
It will be a long time before a Russian carrier sails anywhere, but Moscow's submarine and air activity continues unabated and carries an unspoken message.
It's all sub-threshold right now.

The media doesn't care, nor is the general population interested. The western world is far too well travelled and familiar to think that russia would start something and people generally aren't interested in what some planes are up to. Nobody under 40 remembers any european state on state conflict and as for ukraine- people aren't fussed.

So no i don't think media recognition for genuine utility or effort is coming any time soon!

1605550845366.png
Yes. Old puffing billy had a bit of bother...

Latest Threads