NATO Meritorious Medal

#1
Hello there, dear, kind fellow ARRSErs. A mucker of mine has been a very, very, very, good boy and is being awarded the NATO Meritorious Medal. After checking through JSP 761 on his behalf, I have discovered that all foreign (including NATO) medals and awards have to be agreed by HM Queen (GBHS) before being given and she (or more accurately, her lackey) will state whether they can be worn or not.

The question I am asking is, has any Brits been awarded this before and is there a precedent on wearing it or not?

I've also got reservations as to whether permission to award it in the first place has been sought, but I'm chasing that through other channels.

Yours in anticipation,

Bill

edited for being a mong
 
#3
Fallschirmjager said:
Noone in the British forces are allowed the wear the NATO MSM.
Very true and it has been awarded to members of HMF before.

Jonny
 
#4
Cheers for the quick response lads. FSJ, do you know someone that been told no then?
 
#6
And there is the offending item, 2nd from right. I understand that this fella is now out....however it is incorrectly included in this group.
 

Attachments

#8
Fallschirmjager said:
As my ISAF medal will be when i leave!
Why? Didn't you get the OSM for the service that you did in Afghanistan?
 
#10
jonny3979 said:
And there is the offending item, 2nd from right. I understand that this fella is now out....however it is incorrectly included in this group.
NATO MSM is 4th from right.
 
#11
Cheers FSJ and Jonny. I tell him the good new tomorrow, tee hee. Apparently they are putting a big show on for the presentation. Seems a lot of bovver for something that he cannot even wear!

But then, I could lie to him, wait till he has the miniature on and get him port fined. :plotting:
 
#13
chris951 said:
jonny3979 said:
And there is the offending item, 2nd from right. I understand that this fella is now out....however it is incorrectly included in this group.
NATO MSM is 4th from right.
Correct, 2nd from right is the EC Monitoring Mission medal for Former Yugoslavia. (No permission to wear that either). Also, I'm not sure why it has a rosette on it.
 
#14
If your RSM is happy, fill your boots. Trust me, I'm not denying that you earned it. However, you may find that someone will be a prick about it if you get posted outside the Bn.

I'm in a station mess and they are **** about these kind of things. I know that one unlucky Sgt was fined to death for wearing the non-article 5 medal in our mess.
 
#16
big_bad_bill said:
If your RSM is happy, fill your boots. Trust me, I'm not denying that you earned it. However, you may find that someone will be a prick about it if you get posted outside the Bn.

I'm in a station mess and they are **** about these kind of things. I know that one unlucky Sgt was fined to death for wearing the non-article 5 medal in our mess.
How can you be "****" about pulling someone up for wearing a medal that you are have no official permission to wear? Its fairly black and white fellas!

The Queen gave the OSM for this Op. Smacks of being a gong hungry walt to wear an unofficial second campaign medal for the same tour, regardless of whether, in your eyes, you earned it.
 
#18
Fallschirmjager said:
Walts! You fucking scumbag monkey cunt! Yes 3 PARA are all walts.

Knob.
nibble.....nibble.......! :mrgreen:
 
#19
jonny3979 said:
big_bad_bill said:
If your RSM is happy, fill your boots. Trust me, I'm not denying that you earned it. However, you may find that someone will be a prick about it if you get posted outside the Bn.

I'm in a station mess and they are **** about these kind of things. I know that one unlucky Sgt was fined to death for wearing the non-article 5 medal in our mess.
How can you be "****" about pulling someone up for wearing a medal that you are have no official permission to wear? Its fairly black and white fellas!

The Queen gave the OSM for this Op. Smacks of being a gong hungry walt to wear an unofficial second campaign medal for the same tour, regardless of whether, in your eyes, you earned it.
I bet your the type to sit there looking for spelling mistakes in the menu aren't you. If the cap fits and all that.
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#20
Jonny,

no amount of editing or smileys will save you now. I am sure that the officers, SNCOs, JNCOs and soldiers of 3 Para will consider your opinions as they go up to meet HM to collect their CGCs, DSOs, MCs etc, etc.

As will the families of Cpl Budd VC and Cpl Wright GC.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top