NATO is Failing?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rayc, Nov 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rayc

Rayc RIP

The above news item does not speak well of NATO's capability.

The NATO response in Afghanistan does not indicate any serious effort towards NATO being a unified organisation.

To add to the muddle, there is this idea of putting in place a European Rapid Reaction Force of 60,000 men with air and naval assets added on. Britain is expected to contribute about 12,000 soldiers along with more than 70 combat aircraft and 18 warships.

Therefore, what is the relevance of NATO; and when there is NATO, why have a European Rapid Reaction Force?

What is the future for this organisation?

2. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Since there is no post, it means all is well.

Thank you.

3. Rayc,

Its Saturday night! The fact that no-one has posted in the past two hours probably means that most ARRSE-ers have taken time out from putting the world to rights and are instead putting their social lives to right....!

P.s. the article does strike a chord.

4. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Thanks.

My mistake.

Having retired, every day is a Sunday for me!

5. and its no big surprise. NATO was a spent force as soon as the Berlin Wall fell!

6. I wonder how much of it has always been a meaningless show of force, even during the cold war.

7. yeah - would the Belgian contribution to the Russian hoards driving over the North German plain be the same as that of the '91 Gulf War?

Thanks for the chocolates yet again boys!! but they had melted by the time they reached camp