Nato - Does he have a point?

NATO Common Funding at work to someone's good!

Nice to see NATO security being taken seriously; after all, it only took 2 years for someone to give a shit as to what had been happening. While physical security was highly likely a HN responsibility (so Belgian fail, but their small military is overstretched on CT tasks), the fact that the loss was known about but nothing done is criminal in itself, but endemic of a sense of lack of responsibility/accountability.:mad:

'Over the course of two years, thieves have been stealing what could be millions of litres of kerosene from a Nato supply pipeline in the vicinity of Beloeil in Hainaut province.

'The pipeline was created during the Cold war to supply aircraft at Nato bases in western Europe, and is still operational. According to a report in the Dernière Heure newspaper, the thieves used a complex American-made drilling rig to tap into the pipeline and siphon off the kerosene into a container underground. That tank in turn fed the stolen fuel to a former industrial site some distance away, where it could be pumped into tanker trucks.

'The military authorities are said to have noticed the loss of fuel, but assumed it was caused by a leak in the underground pipeline. On investigation, the spot where the fuel was disappearing could be localised right down to the adjacent street, where the theft was discovered.

'Last year, it has now emerged, two tanker trucks were stopped by police on the E42 motorway close to the site. They appeared to be en route to eastern Europe, and several arrests were made, since the fuel could not be shown to have been legally obtained. But no-one at the time thought to check on the Nato pipeline.'

Last edited:
NATO Common Funding at work to someone's good!

Nice to see NATO security being taken seriously; after all, it only took 2 years for someone to give a shit as to what had been happening. While physical security was highly likely a HN responsibility (so Belgian fail, but their small military is overstretched on CT tasks), the fact that the loss was known about but nothing done is criminal in itself, but endemic of a sense of lack of responsibility/accountability.:mad:

'Over the course of two years, thieves have been stealing what could be millions of litres of kerosene from a Nato supply pipeline in the vicinity of Beloeil in Hainaut province.

'The pipeline was created during the Cold war to supply aircraft at Nato bases in western Europe, and is still operational. According to a report in the Dernière Heure newspaper, the thieves used a complex American-made drilling rig to tap into the pipeline and siphon off the kerosene into a container underground. That tank in turn fed the stolen fuel to a former industrial site some distance away, where it could be pumped into tanker trucks.

'The military authorities are said to have noticed the loss of fuel, but assumed it was caused by a leak in the underground pipeline. On investigation, the spot where the fuel was disappearing could be localised right down to the adjacent street, where the theft was discovered.

'Last year, it has now emerged, two tanker trucks were stopped by police on the E42 motorway close to the site. They appeared to be en route to eastern Europe, and several arrests were made, since the fuel could not be shown to have been legally obtained. But no-one at the time thought to check on the Nato pipeline.'

The fault would seem to lie with whomever was operating the pipeline. They assumed it was leaking thousands of litres of fuel and contaminating the environment but appear to have simply continued to operate it and hoped that nobody would notice rather than making an effort to fix the pipeline.

If that was a civilian pipeline they would have been forced to shut down the pipeline immediately until they found and fixed the leak and there would have been massive fines and possible jail time if they tried to keep operating it on the basis of "nobody has complained about it yet".

They assumed it was leaking thousands of litres of fuel and contaminating the environment but appear to have simply continued to operate it and hoped that nobody would notice rather than making an effort to fix the pipeline
Or they were taking a substantial Bung?

The fault would seem to lie with whomever was operating the pipeline. They assumed it was leaking thousands of litres of fuel and contaminating the environment but appear to have simply continued to operate it and hoped that nobody would notice rather than making an effort to fix the pipeline.

If that was a civilian pipeline they would have been forced to shut down the pipeline immediately until they found and fixed the leak and there would have been massive fines and possible jail time if they tried to keep operating it on the basis of "nobody has complained about it yet".
Oh this made me laugh as i know who runs this pipeline. Oh well jobs for boys and for certain people.....maybe others will wise up and get people who know about operating pipelines rather because of the language they speak!

Is it not run by NSPA?
Yep.

'The CEPS is managed by the NATO Central Europe Pipeline System (CEPS) Programme which was established by the NATO Support Organisation Charter as from 1 July 2012.

'The NATO Support Organisation (NSPO) was created by merging the former NATO Maintenance and Supply Organisation (NAMSO), the former NATO Airlift Management Organisation (NAMO) and the former Central Europe Pipeline Management Organisation (CEPMO). The former CEPMO became the CEPS Programme within the NSPO. The former Central European Pipeline Management Agency (CEPMA) became the CEPS Programme Office (CEPS PO) within the NATO Support Agency (NSPA). In April 2015, the NATO Support Agency (NSPA) became the NATO Support and Procurement Agency, marking the expansion of its capabilities to include all aspects of systems procurement from initial acquisition throughout sustainment.

'The day-to-day pipeline operations and maintenance are executed by four national organisations and their respective dispatching centres. The CEPS Programme Office assures operational, technical, budgetary and administrative control of the CEPS in peace- and wartime in accordance with the NSPO Charter. According to the Charter, the national organisations that support the CEPS Programme are regarded as being part of the CEPS Programme, but are not part of NATO.'

I work with the Bundeswehr on a daily basis and all you say about them is true. It's actually far worse in many ways, especially in the way that they over-regulate the minutiae of daily work whilst neglecting the main equipment capabilities. In our base we have a Bundeswehr kindergarten with three staff that has no attendees. However von der Layen said every base must have one, so we do. Serving parents of children under twelve years old are allowed to finish work 15 minutes earlier than everyone else, and believe me the working hours are policed to the minute. Ridiculous! Undermanning in key skill areas is shocking, but I shall stay away from the details.

However I have never yet spoken to a German, civ or mil, who believes that their defence interests are better met with the EU than NATO. I have also never heard anyone say such a thing on broadcast media nor read it in the press. The Germans quite respect NATO as an alliance and rate the US, France and the UK as being much better militarily than they are.
Posted this before. Working with NATO troops from all services. Had a Czech soldier as a student about a year ago. He is a tankie, gunner. Talking to him about his tank? It’s a Modernized T 72. He stated that only one of the tanks in his Sqn was operational. NATO is a paper tiger .

NATO is training 10,000 cyber defenders in the next 5 years. As stated here...

errr but there are only 420 places a year for students , in the 5 of the stated 15 cyber courses that don’t even exist. So that’s about 100 A YEAR IN REALITY.

Maths like Diane Abbott.

NATO is training 10,000 cyber defenders in the next 5 years. As stated here...

errr but there are only 420 places a year for students , in the 5 of the stated 15 cyber courses that don’t even exist. So that’s about 100 A YEAR IN REALITY.

Maths like Diane Abbott.
I wouldn't believe anything coming from the NCIA.

I wouldn't believe anything coming from the NCIA.
They are great, you cant move any IT by yourself, they have to be present to move a monitor off an old desk onto a new desk, unless of course they are busy, then its okay.

They are great, you cant move any IT by yourself, they have to be present to move a monitor off an old desk onto a new desk, unless of course they are busy, then its okay.
Yeah, so great that much of the NCS are still running on Windows 7.

Zhopa

War Hero
Erm...

"The Central Europe Pipeline System (CEPS) is the largest petroleum pipeline system in NATO and crosses the host nations of Belgium, France, Germany, Luxemburg and the Netherlands."

Is it just me or is it about 30 years since those countries were "Central Europe"?

Still, at least it's consistent with an organisation that still classifies cyber as an "Emerging Security Challenge".

True, but I bet the per diem is not as good.
Well considering that per diem is paid by the nation for military types, I guess that comparison depends on whether you're American or Albanian.

Latest Threads