NATO doc: Recruiting and Retention of Military Personnel

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Nov 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Does anyone else find calling cadets part of the reserves rather disturbing:

Chapter 2G, p2

Volunteer Reserves 44,000
    Cadet Forces 153,100
    Total Regular Reserves 191,500

Dawn Johansen, Ph.D
    Directorate of Army Personnel Strategy HQAG, GBR

2. Not really. The British Army has used children since Mafeking and before in order to do various jobs. Pray it never happens, but should the obvious hit the fan to that extent, then they are there, trained and probably more able than quite a few of the regular forces..
  3. Trained to do what?

Personally I'd rather see armed traffic wardens than children patrolling the streets.
  4. Walk away from the meths Fatbadge :wink:
    Trained to do what Fatbadge, have you actually been down to an ACF detachment and seen what they do. Its an extremely good youth organisation that gives an insight into the forces and shows good discipline and team spirit to youngsters, but thats all. I visited different detachments reguarly when I was recruiting and also enlisted quite a few senior cadets into the Army. Everyone of the cadets who then came back to have a chat said how differently the REAL army is and how training standards are totally different. They also said how they had to or was told to forget everything they had been taught at cadets.
    Im not slating the Cadets or the instructors who do a fab job of giving a structured life to a lot of youngster and keep them off the street showing them a lot of good activities. There are a lot of ex-regs amongst them who can pass on good tips from when they served but like MSR Im rather worried if the general public expect cadets to come to the rescue.
  5. :) I wasnt considering arming them, christ no!
    I was referring to being trained to work as a team. Hence with them being a team they can be generally applied to whatever's needed. Able referring to being able bodied.

That's all that is needed of them.

Yes I have seen firsthand what the Cadets are like. My Daughter is a Cadet.

Calling Cadets part of the reserve isnt really disturbing. Being in the position that they had to be called forward to do jobs would be.
  6. Maybe the Government have a secret agenda to save funding by paying cadets pocket money to go on operations!
  7. Didnt you read the small print in paycut 2000 :roll:
  8. Shit! I knew i should have checked my pay statements! :(
  9. I'd like to see what the UN makes of that.

EU Written Declaration 77/2007 to eliminate the use of child soldiers; which bans use and arming of children under 18. (includes, cadet type organisations!)

UN General Assembly resolution A/RES/54/263; Optional wording to reduce numbers of children in armed conflict and trained as soldiers.
  10. We'll have to teach you to read first :D

then we'll start on adding up and colouring in
  11. Don't bother with the colouring in bit. I've mastered that nearly!
  12. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Ahh, colouring in! My favourite bit of the IPB! (Probably because that's the only bit that I understand).
  13. Nowt wrong with em. I was a cadet in Mafikeng myself, and look how I turned out!
  14. Bet there's Cadets sh*tting themselves now :lol: :lol:
  15. Canadian cadets are banned from doing fieldcraft or parading with anything newer than a No.4 Enfield. I asked why, and the cadet started quoting me some local law based on the UN Declaration of Human Rights.

Wonder how long it'll be before cadets over here fall into the same trap. Teaching them respect for potentially lethal equipment and team skills/taking them out of their comfort zones through fieldcraft are two of the best bits about Cadets.