Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

NATO clearance.

Not sure if this is the right forum. I have just left the army and I know i am SC but I'm sure I also got NATO clearance but cant remember when, does anyone know how I can check if im still in date. I'm applying for a job that requires it. Everyone is on leave at last unit, is it on JPA?

Not sure if this is the right forum. I have just left the army and I know i am SC but I'm sure I also got NATO clearance but cant remember when, does anyone know how I can check if im still in date. I'm applying for a job that requires it. Everyone is on leave at last unit, is it on JPA?
Your JPA competencies should have it on there. If you no longer have access to it then you will need to depend on your clerk. The Int cell at your old unit should have a record of it, or the Int&Security section of the unit which required you to have NATO clearance.

Having SC is generally considered a higher standard of clearance than the equivalent NATO clearance. If it has been a few months since you left then your SC may well be considered to have lapsed.

The day your service terminated, so did your clearance unless you immediately took up employment with a company that was on the list. The company would have had to register you with DBS before your service terminated. We had this a few times when I was a regular in a TA unit. Many guys left the army then came to us a few weeks later, but their clearance had expired.

Having SC is generally considered a higher standard of clearance than the equivalent NATO clearance.

No it isn't. It is exactly the same. NS = SC and CTS = DV, the only difference is that NATO require more frequent renewals.

But once you are a civvie, all bets are off, unless you are taken on by a company which requires it, who then take on responsibility for its administration. As far as I am aware.
If you are employed by a 'List X' Company (KBR for example) they can go direct to the the Defence Vetting Agency and have any SC Clearance confirmed.

Unless your appointments are back to back expect to have an enjoyable 2 hours online completing the questionnaire. Than said the clearance process , if your clean, is surprisingly fast, 3-4 weeks