NATO alphabet

I heard a rumour that due to "PC"ness Z is changing from "Zulu" to "Zebra". Is someone being wound up here? :?

b0ll0x - Zulu is not a derogatory word but a name of a race of people. Are they going to change India as well? Or maybe the peoples of Lima will get on the bandwagon and try and get that changed to lentil? :roll:

Poppy said:
I heard a rumour that due to "PC"ness Z is changing from "Zulu" to "Zebra". Is someone being wound up here? :?
I doubt it will change, certainly not to Zebra. A major point of the International Phonetic alphabet (correction: international radiotelephony spelling alphabet) is that there is only one way to pronounce each word. If you think how Americans pronounce zee-bra as opposed to zeb-ra I doubt it would be considered suitable.

Prior to the adoption of the NATO phonetic alphabet, both the UK and the US used Zebra for Z. I doubt there's anything in this rumour.

Wait till the yanks ´americanise´the battle at Rourkes Drift......Zeeeluuus Sir............thousands(or Ks for the yuppie version) of them!!

I´ll get my coat...........

You could be right "SOS" on a desert beach and be missed...

You would learn "MORSE CODE"..... and scream "CW"....and hope for the best.

Lots of SAS men got lost in Nepal not to long ago...."Everest"...
I Had to go with the "yanks" as the Chinese did not trust the Brits!!!!

All solved by 28 Sqn FAF!!!!!! = Wessex.......
Date/Time..= shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

boris7 said:
You could be right "SOS" on a desert beach and be missed...

You would learn "MORSE CODE"..... and scream "CW"....and hope for the best.

Lots of SAS men got lost in Nepal not to long ago...."Everest"...
I Had to go with the "yanks" as the Chinese did not trust the Brits!!!!

All solved by 28 Sqn FAF!!!!!! = Wessex.......
Date/Time..= shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
And tonight's special award for "Most random person on the Internet" goes to...

not to me...

Simply because this happened before you wore uniform!!!!!! 8)

boris that last one stinks of Caubeen, are you sure you didnt throw a message in latin down mount everest to the waiting general to rescue said SAS men.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
catterick_commando said:
And an APC after the troops dismounted used to be designated 'zulu'.................until the warrior replaced the 432!
Any vehicle where the commander had dismounted was a Zulu.

The reason the Phonetic alphabet is as it stands is because - assuming you have knowledge of all of the alphabetical words - even during difficult radio working conditions you will never mistake one word for another as they are all distinct phonetically.

I shall now go and eagerly await my "most boring post on the internet today" award.

Will it fit through the Letterbox :?

Heedthebaw said:
The reason the Phonetic alphabet is as it stands is because - assuming you have knowledge of all of the alphabetical words - even during difficult radio working conditions you will never mistake one word for another as they are all distinct phonetically.

I shall now go and eagerly await my "most boring post on the internet today" award.

Will it fit through the Letterbox :?
'BRAVO' Heed, well spotted.