Nationalists exploit war film to stir hatred from the past

One by one the unshaven Polish officers are hauled into a cellar and shot in the back of their heads by Soviet officers. The wall opposite is spattered with blood and chunks of brain.

You need a strong stomach to watch Andrzej Wajda’s new film, Katyn: the execution scene lasts 20 minutes and the audience at the Atlantic Cinema in Warsaw stayed silently in their seats long after the screen went blank.

More than 200,000 Poles saw the film in the first weekend after its release. Now, a fortnight later, it is playing to full houses.

“I’m really shocked,” said Agnieszka Bendkowska, an architecture student, outside the cinema. “It shows that the Russians are as bad as the Germans.”

Her use of the present tense was significant:
In full

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article2648430.ece

I doubt the veracity of the story. How can the film be playing to full houses when most of the Polish population appears to be in UK?

Another feature of the upcoming Polish elections is that a significant proportion of the voters won't be there.

The Poles will be opening polling stations in the UK for the emigre vote.

The Poles can't help being twitchy about the Russians and the Germans. Their country was divided between Imperial Russia and Germany for 130 years. After little more than 20 years of freedom they were crushed again and stayed in chains until the 1990s.

armchair_jihad said:
One by one the unshaven Polish officers are hauled into a cellar and shot in the back of their heads by Soviet officers. The wall opposite is spattered with blood and chunks of brain.

You need a strong stomach to watch Andrzej Wajda’s new film, Katyn: the execution scene lasts 20 minutes and the audience at the Atlantic Cinema in Warsaw stayed silently in their seats long after the screen went blank.

More than 200,000 Poles saw the film in the first weekend after its release. Now, a fortnight later, it is playing to full houses.

“I’m really shocked,” said Agnieszka Bendkowska, an architecture student, outside the cinema. “It shows that the Russians are as bad as the Germans.”

Her use of the present tense was significant:

AJ, just a few comments regarding your thread. Did you actually come up with the thread title, namely 'Nationalists exploit war film to stir hatred from the past'? Irrespective of how many saw and will see the film, a comment which I shall ignore, I think the thread title shows your lack of knowledge of Polish history.

As memory recalls, 5,000 Polish officers were executed by the Russians on Stalins orders. Is there a statute of limitations on history?

The fact that Miss Bendkowska was shocked, indicates a failing in the Polish history syllabus at school. Is teaching such history an incitement to stir hatred? Had the same happened to British Officers in a like manner, would you be as forgiving?

If only politicians had read any history and heeded its lessons, I surmise the world wouldnt quite be in the mess its in today.

Petite rant over!

strewth said:
AJ, just a few comments regarding your thread. Did you actually come up with the thread title, namely 'Nationalists exploit war film to stir hatred from the past'? Irrespective of how many saw and will see the film, a comment which I shall ignore, I think the thread title shows your lack of knowledge of Polish history.

As memory recalls, 5,000 Polish officers were executed by the Russians on Stalins orders. Is there a statute of limitations on history?

The fact that Miss Bendkowska was shocked, indicates a failing in the Polish history syllabus at school. Is teaching such history an incitement to stir hatred? Had the same happened to British Officers in a like manner, would you be as forgiving?
No mate its a direct lift from the newspaper article - a good emotive title that gets people opening the thread - blame the Times. And having lived in Poland for two years and with a Polish bird for 6 I know a fair bit about Polish history or at least the Polish veiw on it. :wink:

armchair_jihad said:
strewth said:

No mate its a direct lift from the newspaper article - a good emotive title that gets people opening the thread - blame the Times. And having lived in Poland for two years and with a Polish bird for 6 I know a fair bit about Polish history or at least the Polish veiw on it. :wink:
Bigos and Pierogi to you mucker :p

I believe that the BBC should have started showing 'Henry V' with Laurence Olivier on a daily basis.

Rugby fans can then overwhelm the French with chants of 'Agincourt, Agincourt, Agincourt' and 'Saint Crispins Day is here again.'

But it is the British Broadcasting Corporation, you seriously can't expect them to pander to the vast majority of the population by raising some English Pride !! That's will never be allowed in this day and age.

Not that I care of course - I am not English :D

strewth said:
armchair_jihad said:
strewth said:

Washed down with Zywiec and Zubrowka! Nazdrowie!!

When I was over in Poland in the "Good Old Days", most Poles knew about Katyn, but only from that they were told at "grandad's knee", so to speak. Officially, the Party didn't want to upset the Sovs. Mind you, in the churches, it was very different... In St Briget's Church in Gdansk (where the Solidarity movement had a "powerbase" there is a striking black marble memorial to Katyn

The memorial in the Garrison Cathedral in Warsaw is also very striking

It's still a big thing to the Poles and rightly so...

I can't see telling the story of history truthfully is wrong.

The Russians did it, and they will live with teh stain on the fabric of their country. No country should be allowed to cover up their mistakes or monstrosites, similar to the Holocaust laws.

Although inthe big scheme of things, it is a small stain on a very stained fabric.

The Poles are right to be wary of the Russians and Germans, both countries have, either seperately or combined, held them in thrall.

There are many in the former republics of the USSR who had the yoke of commist freedom and the utopia of the workers paradise thrust upon them, when they were happy with the lot that they had prior. Many lost no time in getting rid of such systems.

Having been to Poland quite recently (Uhlan Eagles) and spoken with the locals, (in German surprisingly) they still have a great hatred for their own Communist Party who they feel held their country back, and have held people back to farming the land when they could have been able to be educated to a higher standard. (only possible if you were a "good communist".

The Polish Communist Party recently barred about 50,000 members (actual members rather than the "all citizens are members approach") becuase of growing apathy.

Petriburg said:
strewth said:
armchair_jihad said:
strewth said:

Washed down with Zywiec and Zubrowka! Nazdrowie!!
Sod the Zywiec, but wave a bottle of Zubrowka at me and I'll be your friend for life or until the bottom of the bottle :) Thanks to all for the powerful images and the youtube linkie. Sto Lat :)

The soviets taught people what they wanted to teach them. Most post WW2 Poles were taught nothing but sov propaganda - and they denied Katyn until the early 90's.

Incidentally I met a Commander in the German Navy who had been an East German Officer, earlier this year. We spoke about Naval History and this guy told me that Dreadnoughts had never fought each other. He did not know about Jutland. the Bismark or the Scharnhorst.

chocolate_frog said:
I can't see telling the story of history truthfully is wrong.

The Russians did it, and they will live with teh stain on the fabric of their country. No country should be allowed to cover up their mistakes or monstrosites, similar to the Holocaust laws.

Although inthe big scheme of things, it is a small stain on a very stained fabric.

The Poles are right to be wary of the Russians and Germans, both countries have, either seperately or combined, held them in thrall.

There are many in the former republics of the USSR who had the yoke of commist freedom and the utopia of the workers paradise thrust upon them, when they were happy with the lot that they had prior. Many lost no time in getting rid of such systems.

Having been to Poland quite recently (Uhlan Eagles) and spoken with the locals, (in German surprisingly) they still have a great hatred for their own Communist Party who they feel held their country back, and have held people back to farming the land when they could have been able to be educated to a higher standard. (only possible if you were a "good communist".

The Polish Communist Party recently barred about 50,000 members (actual members rather than the "all citizens are members approach") becuase of growing apathy.
My surprise about Poland and Drawska Pomorskie in particular was that the locals didn't speak German. Drawska (Dramberg) was a German town until 1945 when the Sovs picked up Poland and moved it 150k west. The local Germans were ethnically cleasned and the area settled by Poles relocated from the East. The few people I have met in that area who could speak German were all very old.

Most post WW2 Poles were taught nothing but sov propaganda - and they denied Katyn until the early 90's.
Certainly my experience. Katyn was a very recent revelation during my time there. Soviet education had been so complete, that it was still regarded as a German War crime. Ditto the failure to re-supply the Armia Krajowa during the Warsaw uprising via an Airlift that didn't happen apparently :roll:

Pleased to say that as soon as things became easier, and even with a large Russian Military presence still in country , they worked hard to redress that.

As for creating a fear of Germany to win votes? I'd be more inclined to believe that line if it involved Ukraine, not Germany.

If Mr. Boyes thinks this is an ultra-nationalist Trojan horse, then lord alone knows what he'd make of "Come and see".