National War Memorial in Staffordshire.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ExScaleyBleep, Oct 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is probably in the wrong thread so Im sorry...

Ive just returned from the National War Memorial in Staffordshire. I can quite honestly say it has been one of the most moving days I can remember for a long time. There is a solemnity about the place, coupled with a dignity that is truly overwhelming. Several old and bold were there, many with a tear in thier eye (myself included) at the effort the trust that was commissioned have put in to make the place a truly remarkable site.

It isnt fully finished yet, as far as I could tell, but it really is magnificent. Both my parents were dumbstruck at the amount of plaques, trees, badges, statues etc etc that were about the place commemorating all the services and it was nice to see that the Ambulance, Police and RNLI were also remembered.

I heard many people comment on the fact that it took far too long for this memorial to be built and I heartily agree with them.

If there was ever a cause that should be supported then it is this one. Im not going to put any pictures up as my photography wouldnt do the place justice. A worthy day out at little or no cost apart from petrol. I would urge everyone to visit.
  2. I plan to go hopefully next year at rememberance, no offence to the old parades but, not enough rememberance for our era of fallen comrades. Even after having a chat with an old boy at a Mess Dinner, he commented on their generations giving so much and we should be so greatful. The old generation still wish for it to be about them. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for them, but our generation continues to give the ultimate sacrifice aswell. Last summer in Helmand, lots of worry was on the young lads fresh out of training, having seen the young lads in combat, the fighting spirit is still second to none, and their sacrifice needs our thoughts too.
  3. thanks for the info planning to visit nov 11th to look for an old pal or two on the walls
  4. Please dont get me wrong... its not all about the old and bold as there are a lot of poppy crosses there with Iraq/Afghanistan written on them. It is all about the sacrifice that the services have paid across the years no matter what campaign that they have fallen in.

I would have liked to have been there on Rememberance Sunday but I will be back across the water in a sandy place and unfortunately the Yanks dont really have a Rememberance Parade that I am aware of.
  5. Good luck and I wish you a safe return.

Slightly off-topic but along similar lines. Last year I visited the Air force memorial near me.

This memorial is dedicated to the members of commonwealth nations that died in WW2 (I think) in the respective (commonwealth) air forces that have no known grave. So only a small % in terms of all services of a small % of all deaths. There are about 20,000 names.

Had me in tears and I had to leave. Most poignant was recently laid cards and mementos from family members.

The war graves commission look after it marvelously and it looks lovely. Check it out. Damn but it was moving and I have no affiliation with the air force.

It takes a fair bit to download, so I would only recommend BroadBand users to click.