National Units

#1
Hi All

I am very keen to join a National Unit - does anyone know if there are any actively recruiting at the mo?

Plus, does anyone know if there is a national unit for intelligence corp?

If so, do they only recruit ex-regs/ta or are new bods welcome.

Any comments or recommendations on National units would be appreciated.

Would have liked to have joined a local unit, but I am based abroad and can not get back for drill night :D s!

Cheers

NewBod
 
#4
I have the same thing as you, I don't live on the mainland and fly across for training. All the national units will be recruiting but I don't think there is a Int corps for national. Just one other thing the 19 day a year is getting very hard to do and most people I know me included do a lot more, most often at least around 30 and there is still more you can do.
 
#5
NewBod said:
Hi All

I am very keen to join a National Unit - does anyone know if there are any actively recruiting at the mo?

Plus, does anyone know if there is a national unit for intelligence corp?

If so, do they only recruit ex-regs/ta or are new bods welcome.

Any comments or recommendations on National units would be appreciated.

Would have liked to have joined a local unit, but I am based abroad and can not get back for drill night :D s!

Cheers

NewBod
Are you sure you're allowed to join?
I live abroad too, and have enquired numerous times without even getting a reply.
 
#7
Tartan_Terrier said:
Are you sure you're allowed to join?
I live abroad too, and have enquired numerous times without even getting a reply.
Not getting a reply is not just because you live abroad. Its fairly standard practise for many TA units, I understand. If you don't keep trying, you are obviously not keen enough and, as you know, we have to beat people off with a sh!tty stick.
 
#8
#9
Rumor I heard today is that all they do is MATTS training with many overseas camps. Overseas is alright but boring MATTS?
 
#10
Cheers for the replies. Appreicated

The RLC looks interesting and I will follow it up.

Anyone know if the 335 MEDICAL EVACUATION REGIMENT (V) RAMC is recruiting?

Monstor - what unit are you in? Any good?
 
#12
Does anyone know the contact details for the RLC in Grantham? e-mail or phone number.

Tried to find it on the website, but for the life of me couldn't see it!

Or am i just a being a tw*t!
 
#13
NewBod said:
Does anyone know the contact details for the RLC in Grantham? e-mail or phone number.

Tried to find it on the website, but for the life of me couldn't see it!

Or am i just a being a tw*t!
I wouldn't bother e-mailing if I were you, it was Grantham RLC who don't reply. You may have a better chance if you phone them...........if they answer it.
 
#15
polar said:
Rumor I heard today is that all they do is MATTS training with many overseas camps. Overseas is alright but boring MATTS?
This is where the extra days come in that somebody mentioned further up. 19 days is a minimum!

The basic "offering" is do a long weekend (which yes, is essentially MATTs) and a two-week camp each year, and that's your lot. Pass everything, tick in box, Fit-for-Role and bounty.

On top of that, soldiers can then elect to do some of the fantastic array of courses, optional military skills weekends, SAAM type events, plus all the usual administration. Depending on your unit and civilian employment, some of the additional courses on offer can do some serious CV-enhancement.

But I'm sure you know all of this already Polar!
 
#16
RSigsSTAB said:
Depending on your unit and civilian employment, some of the additional courses on offer can do some serious CV-enhancement.

But I'm sure you know all of this already Polar!
My ears pricked up on that line! I'd thought one of the good things about specialists units was social networking but CV also.

I didn't know all of that. My choice seems to be PQO (next year) LCISG, LE (in several years) local Sigs Regt and (possibly carer fouled) in 2 Med Bde (but normal job may benefit)
 
#17
polar said:
... one of the good things about specialists units was social networking but CV also ...
It's almost social-industrial networking (a new phrase?). Certainly I've seen peoples' civilian careers assisted by being part of a specialist unit with the right connections...but before anyone starts thinking "jobs for the boys", there is always a full and open selection process.

Although I'd caution anyone who's motivation was just around that side of things - you'll be spotted and marked out pretty rapidly!

The biggest thing, especially if you're used to the Independent/Regional TA, is the lack of a drill night. Takes some getting used to, especially if your life has become used to it.
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#18
Tartan_Terrier said:
NewBod said:
Does anyone know the contact details for the RLC in Grantham? e-mail or phone number.

Tried to find it on the website, but for the life of me couldn't see it!

Or am i just a being a tw*t!
I wouldn't bother e-mailing if I were you, it was Grantham RLC who don't reply. You may have a better chance if you phone them...........if they answer it.

Surprising. They're never less than efficient when I contact them by phone or email. Who were you calling?
 
#19
RSigsSTAB said:
It's almost social-industrial networking (a new phrase?). Certainly I've seen peoples' civilian careers assisted by being part of a specialist unit with the right connections...but before anyone starts thinking "jobs for the boys", there is always a full and open selection process.
My current unit already has that problem (although most don't know it though). I've been offered lectures to a drugs firm (@£500-1000 a piece).
 
#20
Sixty said:
Tartan_Terrier said:
NewBod said:
Does anyone know the contact details for the RLC in Grantham? e-mail or phone number.

Tried to find it on the website, but for the life of me couldn't see it!

Or am i just a being a tw*t!
I wouldn't bother e-mailing if I were you, it was Grantham RLC who don't reply. You may have a better chance if you phone them...........if they answer it.

Surprising. They're never less than efficient when I contact them by phone or email. Who were you calling?
That was using this address: hqrlcta-recradmin @ tanet.mod.uk
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top