Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Trust under scrutiny

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Some charities are nothing but political pressure groups.

Any charity that includes the code word ‘advocacy’ is involved in political pressure.
I don't think AI are a charity.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
They are.
Just had a look at their website. The group is split into two groups, one a charity and one a non-charity. I best they have a team of lawyers keeping one separate from the other while money flows.

So, the full answer is Yes they are and No they are not! :) A very complicated set up.

Yes, how wrong was I when we joined thinking it was about preserving heritage and providing a decent cream tea!
spode 2.jpg....... :)

And the measurement and categorisation of the Great British knee...

As if by magic Keir Starmer appears thinking he's found something new to take the knee to

One trick the NT play is to take on graduates / youngsters on zero pay but sometimes they include accommodation , they are often misled into believing it will guarantee them a job at the end , it doesn't , at the other end of the pay scale the directors do very very nicely thank you.

Offa

War Hero
One trick the NT play is to take on graduates / youngsters on zero pay but sometimes they include accommodation , they are often misled into believing it will guarantee them a job at the end , it doesn't , at the other end of the pay scale the directors do very very nicely thank you.
Volunteers too are taken for granted, and are mostly from the demographic NT treats with disdain.

I looked at a couple of surveying/building conservation roles with NT. The pay is bottom end and I mean bottom end. You are expected to do the job for the "love of the buildings" but of course the grown-ups at senior level and especially in marketing and commercial sides have to be paid a very high wage to ensure the retention of the most suitable people..

Wikipedia informs me that;

For the year ended 28 February 2019, total income of the Trust was £634.3 million. The largest sources of income were membership subscriptions (£243.4 million), income from investments (£192.1 million), direct property income (£186.4 million), and legacies (£66.5 million). In addition, the Trust received money (£39.2 million), from its commercial arm, National Trust Enterprises Ltd, which undertakes profit-making activities such as running gift shops and restaurants at Trust properties. The Trust also received £17.6 million in grants, including £5.2 million from Natural England, £4.8 million from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, and £2.6 million from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.[1]

In the year ending 28 February 2019, the Trust had 5.6 million members (2.6 million memberships).[1] Members are entitled to free entry to trust properties that are open to the public for a charge.[17] There is a separate organisation called the Royal Oak Foundation for American supporters.[20]

The trust is supported by volunteers, who, as of 2019, numbered over 65,000, contributing 4.8 million hours of work.[1]

Just had a look at their website. The group is split into two groups, one a charity and one a non-charity. I best they have a team of lawyers keeping one separate from the other while money flows.

So, the full answer is Yes they are and No they are not! :) A very complicated set up.

The best of both worlds and only a lawyer can navigate through the contradictions.

The weasel bastards.

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
Robert Conquest's Three Laws of Politics: number 2 applies. See also BBC, the Church of England and the Civil Service.
  1. Everyone is conservative about what he knows best.
  2. Any organization not explicitly right-wing sooner or later becomes left-wing.
  3. The simplest way to explain the behavior of any bureaucratic organization is to assume that it is controlled by a cabal of its enemies.

The National Trust have, IMHO, like the RSPCA, decided that their original remit is no longer broad enough, and thus they seek to reinvent themselves. The NT as a political pressure group, and the RSPCA as a quasi police force.

Chef

LE
Volunteers too are taken for granted, and are mostly from the demographic NT treats with disdain.

I'm surprised that they haven't taken the opportunity to recruit as many BAME volunteers as they can to encourage more ethnic minorities into the racist countryside.

A quick look at the board of trustees is revealing.

Perhaps getting rid of the 'stale, pale and male' part would help plus the two white women who look like the descendants of slave owners.

Robert Conquest's Three Laws of Politics: number 2 applies. See also BBC, the Church of England and the Civil Service.
  1. Everyone is conservative about what he knows best.
  2. Any organization not explicitly right-wing sooner or later becomes left-wing.
  3. The simplest way to explain the behavior of any bureaucratic organization is to assume that it is controlled by a cabal of its enemies.

The last one sounds it belongs on the ‘upgrading Challenger and Warrior’ thread.

I looked at a couple of surveying/building conservation roles with NT. The pay is bottom end and I mean bottom end. You are expected to do the job for the "love of the buildings" but of course the grown-ups at senior level and especially in marketing and commercial sides have to be paid a very high wage to ensure the retention of the most suitable people..

This is a common trait across many NGOs.