National Service

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by heythrop, Nov 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to compile a list of war zones in which National Servicemen saw service. The ones which immediately come to mind are: Korea, Borneo, Malaya, Kenya.
    Will you please confirm I am correct with the above, and add others you know of. Dates of the conflict would also be helpful.

2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Some need more research [your task :lol: ], some more obscure than others... Google helpful in most cases.

Technically "war Service" for National Servicemen until 1949; you decide.

Iraq 50's ?
    Canal Zone / Suez
    Korea
    Borneo
    Malaya
    Palestine 46
    Kenya (Mau Mau) 52-60
    Greece (Civil War) 44-49. http://www.onwar.com/aced/data/golf/greece1944.htm

3. Thanks blue_sophist; the list you quote is very helpful to me.

4. Can anybody please tell me if National Servicemen were at Aden during the troubles there.

5. Canal Zone / Suez - 1951-1954

6. The last KOSB National Serviceman left 1KOSB in Aden around the end of 1962 begining of '63. Operations in the Radfan officially didn't really kick off until 1964 and in Aden just after that. Don't think NS personnel served in Borneo or Brunei (those areas were not particularly affected by the communist insurgency 1948 - 1960) The Queen's Own Highlanders were dispatched to Brunei along with other units at the end of 1962.
    National Servicemen certainly did serve operationally in the Oman in the 1950s 1st Bn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) were there.

7. Re. Borneo, wouldn't that depend on your criteria? To be there, wouldn't you need to have been an ex-National Serviceman who had completed two years in 1962 and then signed on? Would that make you, thus, a regular?

On a related point, what was the distinction between getting the GSM bar for Malaya, the one for Malay Peninsula and the one for Borneo? Could NSmen during their compulsory service have qualified for the first two but not the last? :?

8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Heythrop, My ex Father in Law was is Aden. RAF National Service

9. I got posted to Bahrain early 1964, not a National Serviceman to be seen.

See this from Wikipedia for a comprehensive discourse on National Service:

Clickety

So looks like the answer is 'No' :)

10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Cyprus (1950s Eoka)

11. Thanks for the replies. They have been a great help, and have given me the information I was after.
    The reason for the request is that I am a voluntary worker for SSAFA. Not as a Case Worker; PR is my scene at one of the divisions, and I am preparing a screed drawing attention to us being there to help ex National Service Men in the same way as we are there for others.

12. LPT, lots of 'Nashies' elected to change to a regular engagement though once signed on ceased to be National Servicemen.

The GSM 1918 with the bar 'Malaya' was awarded to service personnel who served in Malaya during the 'Emergency' 1948-60. The GSM 1962 with bar 'Malay Peninsula' was awarded to personnel who served on the Malay Peninsula during 'Confrontation' between August 1964 and August 1966. So National Servicemen could not have qualified for both. The bar 'Borneo' to the GSM 1962 was awarded for operational service on the island of Borneo between 24th December 1962 and August 1966.

The Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Cameron) were the only (non Gurkha) infantry Bn to be awarded the GSM 1918 with bar 'Brunei' and GSM 1962 with bar Borneo, both awards were for the same tour. The former medal was for the period 8th - 23rd December 1962 the latter for the subsequent part of that same operational tour commencing 24th December.

13. Many thanks!

14. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg My fathers national service was in bahrain with cameronians in 1957

• Like Like x 1