National Service

if you believe that would happen can I interest you in a bridge I have for sale?
It's the argument I put forward to try to get folks not to just drop their litter where they stand in Africa. The belief is that they're benevolently creating employment instead of just being lazy, dirty cunts.

Simple solution - compulsory membership of the Scouts.
Don't knock it. I learned many useful skills in the scouts:-

How to electrocute smaller boys with a field telephone.

How to tie a hangman's noose.

How long a smaller boy could be suspended from a hangman's noose without losing consciousness.

How to stab somebody in the throat (first aid badge - emergency tracheotomy)

How long it takes a couple of shotgun cartridges to explode after being thrown into a camp fire surrounded by scouts from the next town.

National Service would be a pointless waste of time and money. In my day, it took about two years to become experienced enough to become useful. 18 months would turn out highly trained trainees.

Skills are lost very quickly. During the Falklands war, he RN recalled a few Radio Operators. All of them had left the navy within the previous 24 months. All of them needed retraining on the way South. Countries like Israel that are dependent on conscripts for their survival have life long national service. As well as 2 or 3 years of National Service, some of them have a liability for yearly call up until they are in their fifties.

SA NSM were liable for two years initial when I was conscripted, along with ten annual camps/deployments of two to three months at a time before going on the reserve list for life.

National Service would be a pointless waste of time and money. In my day, it took about two years to become experienced enough to become useful. 18 months would turn out highly trained trainees.
I'm quite surprised about some of the things that happened during NS. There were National Service Sergeants (I think that Richard Ingrams, the former editor of Private Eye, was one).

Civilian - Recruit Training - Private - Lance Jack - Full Screw - Sergeant - Discharge, all in the space of two years. How on earth did that happen?

Similarly, the aforementioned linguists. Recruit training and then on to a long and intensive linguists course, posting and then discharge. In two years. How could that represent resource husbandry or value for money?

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
But NS doesn't have to be Military based does it? - as mentioned , ooh, shit loads of times already Trigger..
  • Oi trigger, there have been 101 different magical employment schemes to utilise the yoots over the last 40 years, they’ve all been utter failures....guess why?

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
So you can spend the money saved improving the training and thus the prospects of those minimum wage workers?

Really? Not like the use of YTS trainees as virtual slave menial labour by everyone including local councils? Yes, making unemployed, often bright, 18 year olds pick up crap, often literally, off canal banks and wasteland in the rain will really motivate them to be model citizens.

I'm quite surprised about some of the things that happened during NS. There were National Service Sergeants (I think that Richard Ingrams, the former editor of Private Eye, was one).

Civilian - Recruit Training - Private - Lance Jack - Full Screw - Sergeant - Discharge, all in the space of two years. How on earth did that happen?
NS deferred until education complete. Turn up for NS as a qualified teacher. RAEC as a SSgt. It’s like they used people’s qualifications for the good of the Army.

Really? Not like the use of YTS trainees as virtual slave menial labour by everyone including local councils? Yes, making unemployed, often bright, 18 year olds pick up crap, often literally, off canal banks and wasteland in the rain will really motivate them to be model citizens.

Might make a dent in the entitlement to experience how the other half live.

• Oi trigger, there have been 101 different magical employment schemes to utilise the yoots over the last 40 years, they’ve all been utter failures....guess why?

Er, cos they weren't forced onto youts ...and this has something to do with NS how?....or the issue you have with thinking of NS purely in terms of combat roles. ..Trigger.

People tend to forget that, Borstal just produced lots of harder and fitter young criminals.
And bearing in mind the endemic gang violence and stabbings on the streets of the UK, what could possibly go wrong with training a generation of 18 year olds in proper skirmishing and hand to hand fighting skills?
I suggest some of the misty eyed look at the quasi-paramilitary gangs you got on the continent.
Absolutely
But you need to get them out of the Situation well before that

Some were you know, well, as close as damn it. turn down the 'glowing opertunity?' expect to face the DHSS Inquisition ........YTS was cheep labour

No, I wasn't one, just served alongside a few

For sure...and why not?.....even if they learned feck all or were treated as cnuts aka low paid dregs ( yep, i heard the stories too) , at least it made the idle fecking scrotes get out of bed for their dole.

....or they could have willingly joined the mob ;-)

......and what would your solution be then?.....let them laze about blaming everyone else until they found a 'superior job' that they believed that they were entitled to?

You're a bit of a wet, drama queen aint ya?

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Might make a dent in the entitlement to experience how the other half live.
Yes, because beasting and treating people like crap has proven to be such an effective training method. Congratulations, you’ve now got a 100% resentful group of people.

One good thing about National Service is that it keeps the connection between the Forces and the general public. As it is at present, vast swathes of the population have no connection to,or knowledge about, the Forces at all.

It might be expensive, but as a KAPE project, it certainly works.

The only rational system is what the Swiss do.

Who is responsible for defending the country? - we all are. Therefore we all have to be trained to do some part in that defence.

But instead of 2 years of boredom, painting coal etc those who choose to do military service (other options are available for conscientious objectors) train for 17 weeks and come out as basic infantrymen. Those interested/suitable may choose to train for more specialized roles. If you are unfit for service you have to pay an additional tax.

Nobody's taken them on for some time so it seems to work.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
......and what would your solution be then?.....let them laze about blaming everyone else until they found a 'superior job' that they believed that they were entitled to?

You're a bit of a wet, drama queen aint ya?
‘Well done, you must have been one of the people who drove YTS to the utter failure it turned into.
It was meant to be training, not a punishment regime to drive people into any job no matter what.