National Service

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by pongo6863, Oct 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A couple of days ago I saw an interview with Sir Michael Caine during which he mentioned his National Service spent in BAOR and Korea. When asked, he replied that he would like to see the return of National Service to help combat youth violence and reiterating his comment: "I'm just saying, put them in the Army for six months. You're there to learn how to defend your country. You belong to the country. Then when you come out, you have a sense of belonging rather than a sense of violence."
    This was followed by a few (probably well chosen) comments from some of Britain's youths, the cream of which was, "I'd rarver do me own fing, innit?"
    What are the panel's thoughts?
  2. No thanks. Prefer a professional army to one full of civvy chavs in uniform with guns.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Providing there was a clear demarcation between Her Majesties' 'Proffessionals', and Her Majesties' 'Doing there bit' why not.

Plenty to do around the UK and lots of good character building stuff. Before you know it, we'd have a nice country.

Same as Holland ensure there is facilties for those who would 'rather do my own fing, innit' ie prison for double the service time :D

A rite of passage you could be proud of, instead of your first ASBO, glassing or happy slap on youtube.
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

National Service now would be a disaster for the Army, Navy & Air Farce. IMHO. Those that want to join are lining up at the recruiting offices and being turned away right now. Those what don't want to join and just "do their 'fing" would be nothing other than an admin nightmare, all of whom would "Know their rights, innit?"

Let's keep the Forces professional.

The pollies are spending enough time fecking up the forces with the SDSR without throwing this little chestnut in the firw.
    • Like Like x 7
  5. Bring back National Service but the NS men/women would be organised into public service Battalions and used for road building etc etc. No exceptions allowed for any reason.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sir Michael Caine came from an era where being a chopsy little twat saying he didnt want to do something involved some large NCO panelling him all over billet and then the chopsy little twat would get charged for damaging the NCOs knuckles, it wouldnt happen today.

As Sir Michael Caine served in BAOR did he say he deserved an NDM?
  7. NDM for Germany? Perhaps not, But for Korea, I cant see why not
  8. I think some form of national service should be brought back, to give the low life scum infecting this once great nation some discipline and self worth!
    Having a National Service where you could sign up to the Police force, Fire service, Ambulance service, Coast Guard or the Armed Forces if that's what you want to do might be a more realistic proposition :)
    • Like Like x 3
  9. It wouldnt work for the Police or Ambulance service, both jobs require a very specific type of person to do it, Would you want some of the Scum working anywhere near a PNC computer etc...? They would be looking up there targets for when they arent on NS. With the Army it took them out of circulation at the age where they where causing issues.

The same goes for the Ambulance service, would you want some of the Scum out and about on the streets today responsible for saving your life?

The firebrigade would be a good option, we could instill into todays youth what it means to strike for more money
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. This is something I fully agree with, 2 years service in a PSB as soon as you leave school and prior to College or Uni. The only exemption being joining HM Forces.
  11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Funny you should say that because it worked very well during WW2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I believe NS ended 1960ish? and funnily enough virtually all the social problems of today can be traced back to the generation that was reaching its late teens in the mid 60's, coincidence possibly.

I blame my parents.
  13. I can see your point there JC! But surely they could for the police or ambulance service as cleaners,or in an admin role? Only the more exceptional ones after training would be allowed to actually join the elite ranks :)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The police and the ambulance service is a different entity to what it was in WW2, as are the people who will be required to do national service
  15. Conscription into the Armed Forces, Police etc is not a good idea. It may have worked once but those days are long gone. Some form of obligatory 'public service' (and this as all just a play on words) might be seen as workable however there would be problems as to who would pay them? Would it just be an alternative to the dole? Would the unions agree to school leavers taking their members' jobs? And at the end of the day would it be beneficial?

It is worth remembering that during WW2 young women were conscripted to work in the factories and on the land... Some young men were called up and sent to work in the coal mines rather than the forces. But that was a national need in wartime, today's needs are different.

So in summary... No

However Voluntary Service Overseas is still avaliable to those who genuinely want to be useful.