National & regional will it soon be the same?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by davenport, Sep 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. as it says will national & regional will it soon be one of the same?
    and whats this i here about 9 days annual camps?
    any rumours or otherwise welcome....

2. 9 day camps are permissable under TA Regs - CO's discretion. I'm amazed that they have not been used before.

National and Regional? - it's all smoke and mirrors anyway. Half the people attending I know come from so far away, they might as well be national.

FAB

3. what do you think now MrTracey....

Sept 22nd was a long time ago, as the smoke clears may be a new TA is forming??

WTF do I know?

4. I think it may well be. If I had any faith in the CofC, I'd almost believe it was deliberate.

Hmm...I know, let's cut the TA to the bone, frighten a few off, reduce it to say 15,000, sell off the spare real estate (A Review of the Reserves would do that), bolt on a few TA sub units onto regular units (we could call them 'hybrid' units), thus cutting out TA Command appointments and reduce the need for TA Officers, and then bring in a sort of increasing engagement the closer they get to being mobilised - I know!, let's call it the 'Graduated Commitment Model' and save shed loads of MTDs.

The TA could then be kept on 'tick over' (normal jogging?) at much lower cost, fewer NRPS and Regular appointments, smaller network of TACs, and focused entirely on IRs as it would be too small for anything else.

We could then chuck the whole training cycle at the RTC's - better make them a regular command appointment - and then communicate with the soldiers by e.mail and text. Cancel drill nights and just have refresher weekends to maintain basic standards.

A sort of national model for the regions.....

5. Which is fine if you are using people's civvie skills for the mil task - you maintain it for your own (or your normal employer's) benefit. How many people (outside the drug gangs in the metropoli) use anything approaching inf skills civvie day-to-day?

But we are assuming that there has been some thought going into this ... I'm more than slightly dubious.

6. Sorry - I don't think I understand the point you are making but if you are suggesting that you will need more than a handful of MTDs to maintain standards, you're missing the point. You won't need to maintain standards - just basic skills. The minute you opt to mobilise, then you increase trg levels before going onto PDT.

7. Sorry, a bottle of wine into unclear.

It's not about maintaining skills, it's about having them in the first place. If your TA role is close to what you do in real life, a thin veneer of mil training might just make you less than catastrophically dangerous in theatre. On the other hand, especially for the areas of military life which, frankly, don't have much of a civilian counterpart (except ex-reg and a tiny fringe community) - infantry, EOD etc, I don't see that you can get to an acceptable operational standard without basic & continuation training. You'll still need refresher and PDT but ...

So, to get trained, you'll need to be 'qualified' - whatever that means, volunteer and then be able to do all the training? If I was going to take 3 / 6 / 9 months off work and away from the family, the last thing I would be doing is spending every weekend at Gairlochhead or on Castlelaw ranges.

8. exactly.... and more than 12 months mobilised service

9. Sadly, this could well be true.

There is a review of the RTCs ongoing regarding resourcing that may well conclude that they come under a central command and attract regular COs

The Review of the Reserves has drafted in a chap from DE to rationalise the estate.

The Graduated Commitment Model was agreed by the Army Board and is in planning stage - it could, at a pinch, be rolled out for April 10

Hybrid Units exist (recent innovation) and apparently are well liked - RE and Med and yes, the command will remain regular - even at subunit level.

10. Having now seen the Op Order annex I'm not sure it matters.

The TA will be in tatters after this - National? Huh! it'll be lucky to be local.

11. Tatters? Unlikely. Some units may be unorganised and skill sets will have faded a little, but not hugely. The period we are standing down is a short one and many units know that during the winter attendance tends to fall anyway. December is a dead month other than socials, we're pretty much halfway through October, so that only leaves four months. My unit will have a weekend scheduled for each of those months, mostly C1 with at least one MATTs weekend and I expect to loose no more than 10 to 20% of trained strength as a result. Other units, if they plan accordingly should be in a similar situation.

12. But...which 10 to 20%? How quickly can you replace one of your few course-qualified PTIs, or medics, or SAA instructors?

We grew our trained strength by 10% in the fifteen months after an SDR reroling and attendant losses. Even then, it was the scarcity of certain key skills that hit us; we got training weekends to work well, but I wasn't sure we had enough good JNCOs to run adequately prepared and supervised training on training nights. It sort-of worked, but was patchy, and wasn't of consistently high quality. (Note to the regulars - a quick conference and training plan rejig is entirely possible on a Friday night before training starts on a Saturday; it's somewhat more difficult to present a seamless front when you find out at 1900 on a Tuesday, and the first lesson is at 1945hrs...)

If you're right, then the training gap will take between eighteen months and three years to fully recover manning levels; your successor might eventually benefit from the graft you put in over the next six months. Collective training levels will fall as the focus of reconstitution rightly concentrates on individual skills, and with that fall comes less "exciting" training. You can't plan team LFTT if your soldiers haven't completed workup, APWT etc etc...

I saw the trust issues that came with something as simple as an Annual Camp that failed to deliver on its promises; it was brought up for at least three or four years afterwards. Those people who have arranged leave for TA ISC, only to be told that it was cancelled with ten days notice, will be rightly annoyed; the real damage will come when persuading someone in two years time that it's worth putting in some extra effort to book themselves on a course. (Note to the regulars - sorting out attendance at a two-week training course will mean at least three to six months' notice to your employer and family, and often mean calling in a lot of favours)

Yes, the Regulars are suffering too. Yes, someone who considers themselves to have a professional attitude will soldier on. But let's at least acknowledge that it will take the TA the best part of a decade to recover fully from this cut.

The cynic in me wonders whether this cut is being made because in a year's time, it won't really matter.... but that's defeatist talk. It will be interesting to look back at this thread in a year's time.

On the bright side, all those who claim that the UOTCs are a waste of resources in attracting Officer recruits to the regular army will get to see if there's a dip in quality or quantity in about four years' time.

13. Exactly, I would rather be doing the looking back than deciding to quit right now and frankly I don't think even if I wanted to, that I have the choice to do that. Command is meant to be challenging and challenging covers many facets. So I figure now is the time to rally and endeavour to keep our regimental families strong until the new training year.

14. Well said!