Do you support the Rail Strike?

• Yes

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 127 70.6%
  • Can't be bothered

Votes: 25 13.9%

• Total voters
Nope, signals, so you can count how many blankets you've got from far far away.
Aside from the obvious problem of a bloody great gap between your train and many of the platform edges, how is your 'third rail' going to negotiate points and diamond crossings?

How is Track Circuit interlocking going to work?

How is your rolling stock going to negotiate bridges and tunnels designed for a different loading gauge?

ugly

LE
Aside from the obvious problem of a bloody great gap between your train and many of the platform edges, how is your 'third rail' going to negotiate points and diamond crossings?

How is your rolling stock going to negotiate bridges and tunnels designed for a different loading gauge?
Interlaced track exists in the UK on the Croydon tram network and also on at least one bridge in Australia
Signalling is easy to get working on interlaced sections!

Interlaced track exists in the UK on the Croydon tram network and also on at least one bridge in Australia
Signalling is easy to get working on interlaced sections!
I know it exists in a very small scale in a couple of locations, but he's talking about installing it on an entire network and that would be a gigantic engineering headache; not just a simple case of running a third rail alongside the pre-existing track.

A to B... nothing smart and It's flat all the way. war concept, let's leave the girly civvie stuff and the air conditioning for later.

ugly

LE
I know it exists in a very small scale in a couple of locations, but he's talking about installing it on an entire network and that would be a gigantic engineering headache; not just a simple case of running a third rail alongside the pre-existing track.
Technically it would be inside the current track meaning new sleepers and chairs where non timber is used!
The heights and staggers of the OLE would be out too!
I certainly wouldn’t want to interlace a major layout or goods yard,
It needs proper engineering to achieve 25 ton axle loads

Yes, but the gauge would be narrower so the bedding is already done, and it's only for a short time, plus we don't need platforms, it's a military thing, not Kings Cross British Rail.................Think positive...................

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Yes, but the gauge would be narrower so the bedding is already done, and it's only for a short time, plus we don't need platforms, it's a military thing, not Kings Cross British Rail.................Think positive...................
I'm sorry but if the existing track is concrete sleepers then rip it up and start again. That is the positive,there is no easy option however given the willpower things can be done

I'm sorry but if the existing track is concrete sleepers then rip it up and start again. That is the positive,there is no easy option however given the willpower things can be done
I'm sure there is a solution.... just have to look harder..... if there is a bridge in the way, blow it up, all of them. Just put your old scary BAOR head back on for a bit and tarmac a road to Moscow, sod the Ukrainians, get out the f,ing way.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
This is what you require, a simple additional rail, however it requires special sleepers and chairs it cant just be added onto the existing
202112_Gauntlet_tracks_at_Granada_Station.jpg

Forget the platform the use of gauntlet track normally has four rails but in long plain line sections 3 rails could work but as stated it would require complete resleepering of the whole railway. You cant drill into concrete sleepers, they are pre stressed and fixing holes have to be cast in at the production stage.

I'm not sure how we got onto this, but if changing gauge is a problem, the simplest solution is probably what they do when the gauge changes halfway across Russia; jack up the whole train one wagon at a time and change the axles (assuming that's even possible with the rolling stock in question), then stick on a new loco. Probably a lot easier than remodelling the entire infrastructure.

ugly

LE
I'd be wary of asking Germany for help, they have form for this
Schwellenpflug _rail_tracks.jpg

Southern have form for turning down refunds.
And TfL have a problem with........ basically everything. As soon as I step off the train in Kings Cross, I just want to get back on again. god I hate London...... and I was dragged up in London. (Drag as in the nasty way, not the nice dresses way).

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
You're an idiot. I'm pretty damn positive about that.

Latest Threads