Do you support the Rail Strike?

• Yes

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 129 70.5%
  • Can't be bothered

Votes: 25 13.7%

• Total voters
When that was signed, or more appropriately had it's seals affixed, the likes of us hadn't a look in, despite those who say it's the fundament of our law.

Everyone forgets about the Provisions of Oxford. Shame that, cos for all his faults de Montford was a bit of a firebrand for keeping state power in check.
Ah well, if only his son had set off a day earlier... might have seen the leopard change his spots.

When that was signed, or more appropriately had it's seals affixed, the likes of us hadn't a look in, despite those who say it's the fundament of our law.
My comment on the Magna-Carta was as a example of the laws and rules that guide us, that have been in existence for over 800 years, and are ever changing to suite the conditions and times we live in. I do acknowledge that master and servant scenarios still exist, but in isolated pockets, and not so widespread as was years ago. Modern man is much more educated and enlightened than his predecessors, and the days of " do as i say, or you will be flogged-sacked-ostracized are now, hopefully, long gone.

Last edited:
My comment on the Magna-Carta was as a example of the laws and rules that guide us, that have been in existence for over 800 years, and are ever changing to suite the conditions and times we live in. I do acknowledge that master and servant scenarios still exist, but in isolated pockets, and not so widespread as was years ago. Modern man is much more educated and enlightened that his predecessors, and the days of " do as i say, or you will be flogged-sacked-ostracized are now, hopefully, long gone.
Seals and everything.... seems, like Trump, don't count for nothing with the King.

My only memory of Runnymeade is that I let my 2 springers off and they shot like rockets into the river Thames, recovering them was a bastard.

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I will not bow down and kow-tow to anyone about what i have achieved by my own efforts. The generation i was brought up in weathered the post war rationing austerity, and the horrific slums that weren't cleared until the 60's, that effected all but the rich and wealthy, which in in its day held sway , in their eyes morally and financially over the faceless working masses, like my parents being at the bottom of the food chain. You tend to forget that Churchill and the Tories were voted out in 1945, as the ordinary man had had enough , and wanted a government that represented them, and not the monied elite that held sway before and during WW2.

We are all conditioned and effected by the policies and laws of our time, and my time was from 1950-today. I don't write the laws and rules, i follow them, as did my grandparents in the late 1800's, they survived by the skin of their teeth, most of their near relatives did not. They lived by the rules and statutes of their generation, my parents by theirs, and myself and my wife by today's. My children and their children exist in a world so far removed from mine as to be now classed as history, yet they flourish and prosper, shall i ask them to be grateful and doff their caps, and bow down to the establishment for the opportunity's and life styles they now enjoy.

From cave man to space explorer, we all make the best of the life we are born in to, that is the nature of man. The days of subservience to the lord of the manor vanished with the signing of the magna-carta in 1215. I am beholding to no man for my life, chattels, home or lifestyle. Those that can do, those that cannot or are to bloody lazy to get off their backside, suffer the consequences.

( I'me getting too bloody old for all this) :sleepy:
I don't expect you to or yours to doff your caps, but the chip-on-shoulder attitude of "Fcuk them all" directed at those in charge is just unthinking inverted snobbery, it doesn't take into account that life here has got measurably better, and it's not just down to "your own efforts". An acknowledgement of the efforts of generations of leaders and establishment types driving up the quality of life for millions wouldn't go amiss, and that goes for your offspring too.

I don't expect you to or yours to doff your caps, but the chip-on-shoulder attitude of "Fcuk them all" directed at those in charge is just unthinking inverted snobbery, it doesn't take into account that life here has got measurably better, and it's not just down to "your own efforts". An acknowledgement of the efforts of generations of leaders and establishment types driving up the quality of life for millions wouldn't go amiss, and that goes for your offspring too.
Oh do bugger of!, the days of unmitigated deference disappeared with gas street lighting ( which i remember) and horse drawn buses. My efforts to better the lives of my offspring, furnish them with a home, love, commitment and sustenance, show them the ways of the world, teach them the customs and traditions of their "Class" and heritage does not in any way garner me their sycophantic reverence, in the same way that you suggest i do, to those that were very well paid to enhance our lives and livelihoods before me. Its an un-broken line starting back in pre history, and continuing long after we are long dead gone and forgotten.

......and as for the rail strike ( Back on thread) I do not use the railways, i have a bus , tram pass, and a car.

Last edited:
My mates a postie, did 27 years in the Army, hates unions, but will happily go on strike because he's never been anally fuked by a company (The Army.... use to it) before and wants to avoid the novel new experience at his age.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Without knowing a single thing about that person's life or circumstances you are assuming that being a postie is part of a better life in civvy street.
I'd have thought any job is a better life!

WO1-hofficer? and a postie? Its an honorable job, but mate,............ so much for gaining qualifications for a better life in the real world..
Ssgt... top of the promotion ladder for dumb techs,
ES (Extended Service) Working with the TA ( the extra 5 years).
Postie..... his decision. He has many skills, some used on Mt Kent in 86-87 or Gulf 1 (Do not get a A pass from Porton Down 1 month before a war).

Serving in the Gulf he was posted AWOL by his new unit In Germany, they then stopped his wages.... whilst most soldiers were fighting for freedom.... it appears he was was fighting for free.

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh do bugger of!, the days of unmitigated deference disappeared with gas street lighting ( which i remember) and horse drawn buses. My efforts to better the lives of my offspring, furnish them with a home, love, commitment and sustenance, show them the ways of the world, teach them the customs and traditions of their "Class" and heritage does not in any way garner me their sycophantic reverence, in the same way that you suggest i do, to those that were very well paid to enhance our lives and livelihoods before me. Its an un-broken line starting back in pre history, and continuing long after we are dead gone and forgotten. ENDEX

......and as for the rail strike ( Back on thread) I do not use the railways, i have a bus and tram pass, and a car.
Where do I mention deference? Simply acknowledging that life in Britain is in general much better than it used to be and that's in the main due to the leadership of good men and women doing their best to make it so, doesn't require you to doff your cap, merely to admit the truth.

I surmise from your mention of trams that you're probably of northern extract, and you appear to have gone for the whole flat-capped caricature, hence the cliche'd class war chippiness, no doubt imbibed with your mother's milk and the smell of damp whippets. Eeh, luxury.

Seals and everything.... seems, like Trump, don't count for nothing with the King.

My only memory of Runnymeade is that I let my 2 springers off and they shot like rockets into the river Thames, recovering them was a bastard.
My memory of Runnymede was being side swiped by a covert cop van in Oct 2015.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Modern man is much more educated and enlightened than his predecessors, and the days of " do as i say, or you will be flogged-sacked-ostracized are now, hopefully, long gone.
In the UK, yes; elsewhere? Bit of a lottery I'm afraid...

Everyone forgets about the Provisions of Oxford. Shame that, cos for all his faults de Montford was a bit of a firebrand for keeping state power in check.
Ah well, if only his son had set off a day earlier... might have seen the leopard change his spots.
People get that so wrong, it wasn’t about us, it was about them. The fighting nobility would change coats at the drop of a hat if it suited but those who could control the crown were in the best positions. Parliamentary concepts were about getting the crown to listen, but not to the people. That’s being rammed home by the MSM about Boris now.

My memory of Runnymede was being side swiped by a covert cop van in Oct 2015.
I broke down outside Buck Pal on the 31 Dec 2006, (faulty alternator) at 10:30. Cops helped me push the car to Canada gate.... then the questions.... and the questions .....and the questions.... think I as had worked for her for 22 years she could have at least sent out a cup of tea.

Where do I mention deference? Simply acknowledging that life in Britain is in general much better than it used to be and that's in the main due to the leadership of good men and women doing their best to make it so, doesn't require you to doff your cap, merely to admit the truth.

I surmise from your mention of trams that you're probably of northern extract, and you appear to have gone for the whole flat-capped caricature, hence the cliche'd class war chippiness, no doubt imbibed with your mother's milk and the smell of damp whippets. Eeh, luxury.
East Ender mate, a Londoner, , born in Cambridge, and back to the family pile after the obligatory 10 days in hospital, to E5 ( Hackney) when dad was working away from home and finished his job helping to rebuild RAF Duxford, mum went into lodgings to be with him. now firmly ensconced here in middle England, and loving it. Now you know Guv!

(Dances to the sound of chas & Dave, eats whelks and jellied ells, shops down petticoat lane, and thinks micky Flanagan is a god, does that fulfill your stereo-type of a cloth capped collarless shirt, waistcoat with fob watch and chain wearing typical cockney geezer?)

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
East Ender, mate a Londoner, , born in Cambridge, and back to the family pile after the obligatory 10 days in hospital, to E5 ( Hackney) when dad was working away from home and finished his job helping to rebuild RAF Duxford, mum went into lodgings to be with him. now firmly ensconced here in middle England, and loving it. Now you know Guv!

(Dances to the sound of chas & Dave, eats whelks and jellied ells, shops down petticoat lane, and thinks micky Flanagan is a god, does that fulfill your stereo-type of a cloth capped collarless shirt, waistcoat with fob watch and chain wearing typical cockney geezer?)
My dear fellow, I do apologise. But I must ask, what does your mate being a Londoner have to do with you being chippier than a carpenter eating a fish supper?

The Krays, harsh but fair, etc.

Latest Threads