• No

Votes: 119 70.4%
  • Can't be bothered

Votes: 24 14.2%

• Total voters

rgjbloke

On ROPS
On ROPs
There's a reason you are on a certain list of mine, Bravo squared. Luckily I'm not the sort of person to put you on a more terminal one.

Bye now. Have a wonderful time.
You were obviously the 500th guy on the balcony. A part time steely eyed dealer of death eh?

Oh and a full time fantasist idiot making threats on the internet.

Have you considered talking to a psychiatrist. It’s a long overdue port of call for you!

If Network Rail is part of the DoT, which is a Government body, shouldn't Government ie Schapps et al be involved in the Network rail part of the dispute? What am I missing?

I understand the DoT's position re TOC's as private Companies but isn't Network Rail a Public Company?
Probably failing to understand that I had a total mong moment.

What I meant to say was

If it is a "dispute ... between the employees and PRIVATE companies" ithen Shapps should STFU

but since NR is part of/owned by (depending on you PoV) the DoT then "THIS IS NOT THE GOVERNMENTS FAULT...." is nonsense

When you left the forces, did you think your skill set was limited then? You still have those skills, they maybe a little rusty and believe it or not there are still many employers out there that value ex-forces personnel.

The only skills my next two employers were interested in when I left were my rugby ones, as back then companies still had works' teams.

Civvies couldn't give a monkey's for most ex-squaddies unless they've got transferable skills such as logistics, IT, aero-engine, etc., stuff that's really expensive for them to train their own staff on - and your skill set has to be bang up-to-date.

Occasionally you'll come across a management bod that was ex-your own mob, that may get you an interview or at least some more names in other companies.

Transferable skills for an ex-bleep, mid 80s: Larkspur, Clansman, A&P, CW, voice, Bids, T100, hedgehogs... I doubt forces v civvy skill sets have converged that much.

I haven’t read every post on this thread but I saw this on Facebook and thought those who criticise the strikers should take a look at it.

“Just take a minute to read the post below, from a Rail Worker, that gives a different perspective to the hyperbole being flung out by HMG's client journalists...

Three years ago we accepted a 0% pay rise, two years ago we accepted a 0% pay rise. But this year they came to us with a 0% pay rise plus over 2500 redundancies, changes to terms and conditions. An increase from 28 weeks of nights to 39 weeks of nights. An increase from 32 weekends worked to 39 weekends worked.

Currently for a night shift we get time and a quarter, for a weekend turn we get time and a half. They wish to cut both of these to time and a tenth. So that’s a 15% pay cut on every night shift and a 40% pay cut on every weekend turn. But they want us to work more of them.

This is their modernisation they talk about. Not technology, we embrace technology and have seen more and more of it in recent years. They also wish to fire and re-hire the operative grades and bring them back under a new job title but on £9000 a year less.

They also want them to use their own vehicles to get to work sites, this when fuel is at its highest. They will also be pooled when currently they are part of the team.

The press are painting this to be about pay above all else. It is not. But now we’ve said sod them we are going to demand better. I wish everyone could see past the government controlled media smear.”

Given the same circumstances, would you go on strike?

I definitely would!
Again, which rail company is this? It certainly isn't Network Rail.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
In the next breath he'll complain about the lack of investment. He seems to think that ultra-modern centralised signalling centres will employ the same number of people as hundreds of rural signal-boxes...

My part of the railway is currently being modernised and it's been on the cards since I joined in 1993. I was told then that 'I'd only have a job for ten years'. The plans were FINALLY rolled out five years ago and many people in these parts have got on their bikes and applied for jobs in the new signalling centre (approx 80 miles away). Those of us who are left have known for YEARS what was coming and have done nothing about it for various reasons. In my case, my location will be the last to be assimilated by the Borg, I'll get around £75,000 redundancy and I'll take early retirement.

It's the same story across the country. The Unions bleat about modernisation and safety, but actually prefer old-style over-manning to keep up their membership numbers and the cash rolling in. As for 'safety'; I've personally known six people they've defended in court; three dangerously incompetent alcoholics, a psyhcotic, bullying signalling inspector, a rules-breaking incompetent who managed to hang on to his job after derailing a train and later tried to get me to put two oil trains into the same line 'because he'd always done it that way' and a convicted flasher (ex R Sigs...).

Good point reference the union wanting to modernise the industry but still have the same amount of man power. I guess it’s about finding the right balance.
I may be wrong here but I personally like the idea of having station staff around and having someone on board a train.
Especially when it comes to women travelling alone at night, medical emergencies, anti social behaviour on trains.

I know a guy who waited two years to get a job as a train guard for South Eastern, he left within 6 months as he said the job had lots of aggro attached.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Good point reference the union wanting to modernise the industry but still have the same amount of man power. I guess it’s about finding the right balance.
I may be wrong here but I personally like the idea of having station staff around and having someone on board a train.
Especially when it comes to women travelling alone at night, medical emergencies, anti social behaviour on trains.

I know a guy who waited two years to get a job as a train guard for South Eastern, he left within 6 months as he said the job had lots of aggro attached.
The role of a Train Guard is not the best. As well as being the fount of all knowledge, a Guard has to able to stop fights, talk down drunks, collect fares and resist the urge to punch any scrote who seriously needs it. Most of the slappers going out on a Friday or Saturday night refuse to pay for their ticket and will make all sorts of claims against a Guard, from Harassment to Sexual Assault! Management do not back their staff up, they are only interested in how much revenue you collect. I was sacked for allegedly telling a bloke he was a "F***ing idiot". I was reinstated when his witnesses wouldn't back him up in court. I saw him about three month's later and told him to his face he was a f****ing idiot! He couldn't make the same complaint again.

Your ‘skill set’ is transferable/adaptable. Well done.

Mine isn’t. I’ll carry on fighting, thanks.

Waits for the predictable ‘get a job that is then’.
I agree with both yourself and @re-stilly , Yes you are right to fight, but as he says it is best to keep your options open.
Transferable skill sets, well I looked high and dry to find anybody in civvy street with a SAM system to fix. Surprisingly my search was quite brief!
However the world of mobile telecoms, maritime radar etc were all there. Not only that think of the other skills, basics such as punctuality, discipline, working alone or as a team, working under pressure etc.
The list goes on, I have worked in electronics, manufacture, education, healthcare, construction since I left. It's there if you want it.
You have read my earlier posts, I think the RMT has fcuked the job up, however that does not mean you do not have the right to defend your position.
Anyone would do that, remember the best time to look for a job is while you have one.
I would and have jumped ship before pushed, but as Stilly said, redundancy of which I have been through twice also, can be helpful fiscally (albeit my last being just before the first lockdown,top timing!)
Always remember the saying, two ears, one mouth. Listen what's going on, don't comment until necessary or when they draft up the redundancy matrix you can bet your arrse you will be on it. Be the grey man.
I do not know of your family situation but if you sense it may be going the wrong way, it does no harm to spread your wings. With thanks to the media coverage of this debacle many employers will appreciate your forward planning and thinking.
Don't give up asking questions in the mean time, however always have a plan B , it takes the stress and worry off yourself and others.
As The Fonz said.........

1656021039433.png

TamH70

MIA
You were obviously the 500th guy on the balcony. A part time steely eyed dealer of death eh?

Oh and a full time fantasist idiot making threats on the internet.

Have you considered talking to a psychiatrist. It’s a long overdue port of call for you!
Aww , diddums, l wasn't talking to you. Bugger off, there's a good chap.

Besides, a full-fledged Boris Grr! Corbynista like you has a cheek calling anyone else a fantasist.

Probably failing to understand that I had a total mong moment.

What I meant to say was

If it is a "dispute ... between the employees and PRIVATE companies" ithen Shapps should STFU

but since NR is part of/owned by (depending on you PoV) the DoT then "THIS IS NOT THE GOVERNMENTS FAULT...." is nonsense

Thanks.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
So what if he is?
Well, dear old Bob (PBUH) was never going to be affected by his exhortations for strikes. The poor buggers he was supposed to represent would get strike pay or no pay, they might face financial ruin, bankruptcy or defaulted credit.

No doubt he had his nose in the trough as well, with credit card spends of up to 30k p.a.

To my mind, he never gave a toss about the welfare of his workers, but they were a useful weapon to slap the government of the day with.

He was just another hard left militant and has a lot in common with the mullahs and imams who preach violence, but not at the cost of doing it themselves, not while there are mugs available to take the pain.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
The role of a Train Guard is not the best. As well as being the fount of all knowledge, a Guard has to able to stop fights, talk down drunks, collect fares and resist the urge to punch any scrote who seriously needs it. Most of the slappers going out on a Friday or Saturday night refuse to pay for their ticket and will make all sorts of claims against a Guard, from Harassment to Sexual Assault! Management do not back their staff up, they are only interested in how much revenue you collect. I was sacked for allegedly telling a bloke he was a "F***ing idiot". I was reinstated when his witnesses wouldn't back him up in court. I saw him about three month's later and told him to his face he was a f****ing idiot! He couldn't make the same complaint again.
On the list of my "jobs that you couldn't pay me enough to do."

Dealing with a drunken, chav public is pretty much my idea of hell.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I do a lot of case study work for a large US organisation. I probably should be as vague as that, for many reasons, but suffice to say in the transportation sector.

Mass transit (as they term it there) has taken an absolute shoeing.

75% at this stage post-pandemic is very good by comparison with some public transport operations across the Pond. Very good indeed.
Indeed. However, regardless of London Underground's place in the global league table of mass transit systems this still leaves a 25% (ish) hole in the fund generation ability of the ONLY profitable part of Transport for London.

A lot of the ‘build back’ strategies over there are accepting that what existed before won’t come back. Services need to change, often being demand-driven and using feeder stuff such as on-demand services (taxis, small buses) to get people onto main roads.

A ‘trackless pre-Beeching’, in effect.

One way or another, operators, operatives and passengers are having to accept change.
I don't think that there's a straight equivalence between US and UK rail transport; the wealth of infrastructure already in place and the commitment to further being built alone sets a hugely different scenario. Absolutely things will change, and in the short term not for the better, but I don't see another Beeching slash and burn happening.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
The only skills my next two employers were interested in when I left were my rugby ones, as back then companies still had works' teams.

Civvies couldn't give a monkey's for most ex-squaddies unless they've got transferable skills such as logistics, IT, aero-engine, etc., stuff that's really expensive for them to train their own staff on - and your skill set has to be bang up-to-date.

Occasionally you'll come across a management bod that was ex-your own mob, that may get you an interview or at least some more names in other companies.

Transferable skills for an ex-bleep, mid 80s: Larkspur, Clansman, A&P, CW, voice, Bids, T100, hedgehogs... I doubt forces v civvy skill sets have converged that much.

Fun fact - I joined the Glorious Corps of Royal Signals with the idea that I'd get some qualifications and some transferable skills.

Left the army, applied for NTL/Nynex, BT and was faced with questions that I couldn't answer. I didn't feel like I could talk about the technical stuff at all, due to me being a Tele Op (Sys) and a lot of the Ptarmigan stuff I worked on was classed "Secret."

On the other hand, smart appearance, "Can-do" attitude, l33t typing skills and discipline to turn up on time and do a bit extra has taken me a long way.

Indeed. However, regardless of London Underground's place in the global league table of mass transit systems this still leaves a 25% (ish) hole in the fund generation ability of the ONLY profitable part of Transport for London.

I don't think that there's a straight equivalence between US and UK rail transport; the wealth of infrastructure already in place and the commitment to further being built alone sets a hugely different scenario. Absolutely things will change, and in the short term not for the better, but I don't see another Beeching slash and burn happening.

They've ripped out a line in Lime Street, reducing the number of platforms by one. On the journey in, there are now several bare patches where they've reclaimed tracks.

As I said up thread, the rail system could become the transport of choice in the next 10 years, but old branch lines need re-opening, rolling stock needs to be modernised and high fare and parking charges need to be reviewed.

In 10 years, if the EV program goes ahead, then most of us will not be able to afford to own a car again or travel large distances without the need for trains and an integrated public transport system. Line cuts can't happen, but massive investment in infrastructure does need to happen.

Also we have to stop the ownership of our rail system by other countries, I think someone said that there were 7 countries (?) who have ownership of our rail infrastructure..

Rail is essential and will become more essential over the next few decades, and without proper investment then we will be looking at a very bleak future when it comes to travel for the masses.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
They've ripped out a line in Lime Street, reducing the number of platforms by one. On the journey in, there are now several bare patches where they've reclaimed tracks.
One swallow doesn't make a spring.

(It does however make a blowjob far less messy)

Edit: Anyway, Lime Street's in Scouseland isn't it? You sure that some shell suited locals haven't just taken the tracks down the scrappy?

Latest Threads