National mourning

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HLS, Feb 23, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HLS

HLS Old-Salt

I might be alone here but I tend to agree with this article.

I think there is a difference between showing respect as during Rememberance Day and the public displays of grief when a 'personality' dies.

I was more angry than sad after Soham, Dunblane etc, and was not really moved at all when Lady Di pegged it.
  2. It certainly strikes a chord with me! It is all part of society's "dumbing down", when footballers are heroes and the slightest whim of a pampered "pop star" are deemed of national importance. Psuedo-grief is but another symptom.
  3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I agree with both of you. The media have a lot to answer for, as does New Labour's 'cool Britannia' stunt.
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I go along with this too, Patrick West has applied joined-up thinking to these weird symptoms and come up with an intelligent explanation. Of course all the bleeding hearts will decry his article, but that won't make it any less accurate and incisive. I hope we hear more of this, I love it when these tw@s are exposed :D
  5. Patrick West seems to have got it about right. There seems to be a sort of national malaise, stoked up by the gutter-press, a la Sun/Mirror/ Mail/ Express, etc.
    One sees it repeated every time some witless scrote,(Sun reader, etc), writes himself off by piling his multi-zillion megawatt sound machine into a tree.
    Flowers and teddy bears then proliferate at the crash site, left by fellow lackwits. This is usually followed by loud wailing in the local press about 'how dangerous the road is' and some righteous ranting about the council having done nothing to remove the trees that have been growing dangerously for the last seventy years!
    The contest between oak tree and cerebrally challenged driver is somehow regarded as unfair, but why? Just think of it as evolution in action, bandage the tree's wounds and allow the superior organism to carry on evolving.
    Death is inevitable, yet, for some folk, there is a tendency to regard it with surprise, as though they hadn't seen it in the small print. When it happens to someone 'famous' or happens on an horrific scale, like 9/11, so many people want to be a part of it, at a distance, of course; the shock of death gives them a vicarious thrill and that is the sickness.
    Respect for the dead is quite right and proper; at the right place and at the right time. It is the preserve of close family and friends. In the case of national mourning, it should be a time of drawing together and strengthening, not a freak show.
  6. Indeed , these Arsewipes don't have a life which is why they take interest in other poeples life , i does piss me off when tabloids say football "hero" , rock "hero", car racing "hero" load of balls to me
    sad enough when Lady Di died but i don't know her personally so i dont feel the need to weep bucketloads on TV as some do, jesus !! i bet Lady Diana must be cringing and spinning in her grave in embarrasment at all this fake bullshite weeping crap.
    if any of my family did suffer badly, i would have just cause to cry.
    no famous tossers is worth my time
  7. I also agree with the complete exception of rememberance day which seems to mean more to me each year as I continue to realise what many gave up so I can sit and bugger about as I do today.

Programmes like the recent Dunkirk series further illustrate how different life has become over the last 50 years.
  8. Like most of the nation, I watched Diana's funeral on the box. I couldn't get my head round the 'wailing and screaming' of some of the spectators. Some of these weirdoes were actually screaming out her if she was ever going to hear them. I can't imagine what sort of lives these people have when they actually feel that they were that close to someone so distant from their own existences like a member of the Royal Family.

The wearing of charity ribbons and badges as well. Look at me I support etc, etc. So what. Why not just put the money in the box and be done with it in the knowledeg that you have given. You don't need to advertise the fact. The charity would be able to save more money by not producing these items.

Somebody on the site posted an article (I think it was one of the TA troops) about people in his workplace whinging about the first TV reports of the RMP deaths in Iraq. Apparantly his colleagues wanted to watch Tim Henman or some other 2 time loser. Says it all about this nation as far as I'm concerned.

It's great being British..............sometimes.
  9. I was on Ex the week that the press inspired the total grief-fest that happened when whats her name died. Thank God!

Compare the ribbon wearing bleeding hearts (who next to cry over) with the rows of sober solemn types that stood in line to pay their respects to the Queen Mum.
  10. It's not mourning to bewail (with inappropriate levels of sobbing and teeth-gnashing) the demise of a 15 second celeb. It's attention-seeking from people who really ought to be out looking for their other brain cell.
  11. I remember feeling when Princess(?) Di died that the atmosphere was almost sinister. It felt that, if you didn't join in, then you might be lynched! I'm sure I heard about some people being harassed by knuckleheads for not displaying the "appropriate" level of mourning.

It's self-publicity by neurotic idiots, through and through! There are tragedies every day in the world that they happily blank out.

Tony Bliar goes into hospital for a heart op, wakes up and the surgeon says "I managed to get it removed from your sleeve, but it was a hard job..." :twisted:
  12. I was in the UK when DI popped her clogs and the radio stations went into overdrive with "grief" not a worry i thought as I was off to zimbabwe on the friday only to rock up there and they were at it as well!! admitidly though radio one didnt quite reach the mud huts thank god.

If you look back to the start of the last century and the 19th century hero's used to be poets, engineers, soldiers, people basically who had gone above and beyond in their fields of expertise, these days getting a sh**t load of cash a week for kicking a ball around twice a week entitiles you to the tiltle "hero" shows where the moral standards are going...
  13. I'm glad she got creamed. She used to get on my tits.
  14. I am sure Di was a nice woman and if you had met her, it's also understandable for you to be upset. But I never could understand all those silly sods greeting all over the place, outside Buck Palace etc over someone they never met let alone knew. I was happily enjoying a party in Gutersloh when the next day the whole world tuned into radio 4 and BFBS was bloody ruined for the next week, especially as it was the only channel.
    God help us when the Beckhams die!