National Memorial Arboretum

How many of you have visited the National Memorial Arboretum? and do you have a regimental memorial there?
The 'Polar Bears' memorial. '49th.(West Riding) Infantry Div.'

Attachments

I attended the POWs service there back in 2007

I've been twice, very emotive. I go straight to the Sapper memorial to pay my respects.

Sorry to drag up an old thread folks but don't really want to start a new one at 3 in the morning.

I've decided I could do with paying a visit and was wondering on whether to take the dog.

The website suggests it's dog friendly but I'm just wondering whether it's suitable/appropriate.

I dont think you'll have q problem. A mate of mine works there and has his dog with him all day.

hat_edited.jpg
Been a few time,worth a visit,old Regiment,11 Hussars,have a plaque there.We have annual reunions in nearby Telford,so there is usually a n organised trip there with a short service.Re enactors joined us once.
telford 08022_edited.JPG
telford 08027_edited.JPG
telford 08031_edited.JPG

Last edited:
Been a couple of times, very emotive. Beautifully land scaped. Good reasonable priced cafe.
But the septic tank needs a Sewage Gas Destructor Lamp.
Still well worth a visit.

CFB.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Get there sharpish. The big memorial on the mound is closing on around 12th Nov for major repairs (don't ask - long and not happy story there) but the rest remains open.

Even with that bit closed, it's still well worth a visit. The Bastion and Basra Walls alone are highly emotive, and there are memorials to more Regiments, Corps, Divisions, Ships, Agencies, Departments, Groups, etc, than you've ever heard of, ranging from magnificent to arty to frankly naff, but all well-meaning.

Decent cafe, excellent souvenir shop, good facilities in general. Just take wellies if it's been raining a while as it can get a tad* damp.

*By 'a tad' I mean that on my first visit there was a foot of standing water! Drainage has improved, and the trees (which suckup water) have grown.

I have a photograph of me with waders accompanying someone to one of the memorials near to 'shot at dawn' - the use of the word 'tad' is worthy of note and applause :)
Have the privilege to be hon. Chaplain there: always happy to offer support fir those who wish to pay a visit BTW
V

I went a few years ago with a mate, we thought the place was fantastic, a true, fitting national memorial to all our fallen. What we were disappointed with was the REME memorial, it was poorly constructed, showed no imagination and was falling apart. I've heard it has been rebuild since. Planning a revisit next summer, I hope the REME memorial has improved, you'd think an engineering corp would have one of the best there, the Sapper one was brilliant.

I went a few years ago with a mate, we thought the place was fantastic, a true, fitting national memorial to all our fallen. What we were disappointed with was the REME memorial, it was poorly constructed, showed no imagination and was falling apart. I've heard it has been rebuild since. Planning a revisit next summer, I hope the REME memorial has improved, you'd think an engineering corp would have one of the best there, the Sapper one was brilliant.
Not your kind of engineering is it though? What you need is a massive (and tastefully posed) nut and bolt man:wink:

Not your kind of engineering is it though? What you need is a massive (and tastefully posed) nut and bolt man:wink:
That would be better than the thing that is there now (or when I visited) you have hit the nail on the head though, bricks n mortar is not our kind of engineering, so perhaps with some imagination the REME site could incorporate metal, we have some of the most skilled metalsmiths in the world, aircraft, tank parts, engines, guns, rifles. It seems the REME has lost its flare despite some of the highest skilled tradesmen in the Armed Forces.