National Memorial Arboretum

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by BenghaziBandit, May 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How many of you have visited the National Memorial Arboretum? and do you have a regimental memorial there?
    The 'Polar Bears' memorial. '49th.(West Riding) Infantry Div.'

Attached Files:

• mem4.jpg
      File size:
      36.9 KB
  2. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

I attended the POWs service there back in 2007
  3. Been there, lived not far from it, fantastic place, emotive and peaceful well done to the designers
  4. Been there, amazing place. Very peaceful and moving
  5. I've been twice, very emotive. I go straight to the Sapper memorial to pay my respects.
  6. Sorry to drag up an old thread folks but don't really want to start a new one at 3 in the morning.

I've decided I could do with paying a visit and was wondering on whether to take the dog.

The website suggests it's dog friendly but I'm just wondering whether it's suitable/appropriate.
  7. I dont think you'll have q problem. A mate of mine works there and has his dog with him all day.
  8. hat_edited.jpg Been a few time,worth a visit,old Regiment,11 Hussars,have a plaque there.We have annual reunions in nearby Telford,so there is usually a n organised trip there with a short service.Re enactors joined us once. telford 08022_edited.JPG telford 08027_edited.JPG telford 08031_edited.JPG
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  9. Brilliant stuff. Cheers gents.
  10. Was there for the opening of the RAMC section, very well designed place and peaceful.
  11. Excellent place gets a bit dusty though
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Been a couple of times, very emotive. Beautifully land scaped. Good reasonable priced cafe.
    But the septic tank needs a Sewage Gas Destructor Lamp.
    Still well worth a visit.

13. It is a beautiful spot.
  14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Get there sharpish. The big memorial on the mound is closing on around 12th Nov for major repairs (don't ask - long and not happy story there) but the rest remains open.

Even with that bit closed, it's still well worth a visit. The Bastion and Basra Walls alone are highly emotive, and there are memorials to more Regiments, Corps, Divisions, Ships, Agencies, Departments, Groups, etc, than you've ever heard of, ranging from magnificent to arty to frankly naff, but all well-meaning.

Decent cafe, excellent souvenir shop, good facilities in general. Just take wellies if it's been raining a while as it can get a tad* damp.

*By 'a tad' I mean that on my first visit there was a foot of standing water! Drainage has improved, and the trees (which suckup water) have grown.