National Insurance - Over Age 60 Reduced Payments?

From the Beeb this morning an article about changing funding for the NHS that also quoted a Prof Gerada as saying that "...one of the issues is that working people over the age of 60 benefit from a significantly reduced National Insurance contribution, and people over 65 do not pay it at all".

The latter bit of that I am aware of but can find no information that confirms here assertion that over 60s pay a reduced amount. Can anyone here confirm or refute?

Call for new tax to fund the NHS

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
yes please....I'm still working :)

I think he may have been getting mixed up. Women didn't pay over 60 (as it was the retirement age) but you don't get reduced rates at age 60.
There is no NI category for over 60.
NI Categories

And NHS doctors (well, their "union") plus a retired NHS head are calling for over 65s (those retired) who are still working to carry on paying NI.

And NHS doctors (well, their "union") plus a retired NHS head are calling for over 65s (those retired) who are still working to carry on paying NI.
Thus providing a disincentive for people to continue working into retirement meaning they would be more likely to say stuff it and to retire fully instead of potentially continuing to support the economy.

Joined up thinking that is, just the sort of broken brained economics that seems prevail these days.

Its the Limp Dems, so no surpris ethey are spouting garbage.

NIC is on "Earnings" and Pension Income, State or Private, are not "Earnings" as defined.

There are then the Age NI cut offs, which are driven by the State Pension Age, which now varies.

But this is not new: in the name of "Simplification" Governments have been toying with "closer alignment of income tax and national insurance."

Yeah right: that translates into Daily Mail headline speak as "Higher taxes on all PENSIONERS!!"