National Insurance Contributions

Ill be working overseas soon for about 6-8 months a year if all goes to plan. I am a bit unsure of how to carry on paying my NI contributions once employed abroad, I am pretty fammed up on the tax implications but would really like to keep on paying what is required? I am asking on here as it would be good to hear from the horses mouth from anyone currently working overseas rather than the confusing answers I get from the DWP call centre!
Ta all.
It rather depends. If you are working for a UK company and getting paid by them, they should continue to pay and deduct your NI. If you are working for a company in the EEA then you will pay their NI (or equivalent) which will count towards your UK payments. Other than that, you can pay voluntary NI in UK if you have been paying NI for the last 3 years or more.
However, as the qualifying period for full pension is now 30 years (instead of 42 like it used to be), work out if it will be worth it. If you will have over 30 years of NI contributions when you retire then it is pointless paying any more in, especially if it is only 6 to 8 months. You don't. after all, get a refund or any extra for those years over 30 that you work. If it is 6 to 8 months every year for a longish period of time then voluntary NI payments can be set up by the HMRC.
By far and away your biggest issue is your tax contributions. You could be eligible for local tax (and a massive tax saving). The biggest problem is your timing, if your re-location is imminent you could be in a lot of luck!

HMRC6 and the new codified residency rules for 2012-13 should be a good guide. May the Google be with you.
Thanks both.
Im working for a UK based company, I will be invoicing them monthly on each transit (at least thats how I understand it), ill have to confirm the ponts made by ex-bleep, in essence i just want to keep everything above board!) if you get what I mean?
The tax issue is ultimately: have you made a material break with the UK? Do you rent/buy locally vs having a UK property & family etc. This is all HMRC6 stuff.

Similar threads

Latest Threads