National ID Card secure......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Kitmarlowe, Aug 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oops...

2. Think I'll have half a dozen.....

3. Pop down to Tottenham Court Road and you can buy all the gear off the shelf you need to copy and produce any card.

4. 'Home Office officials said that they were working on a response to the story, and would issue a statement later today'.

I'll bet they are.

5. This was a given.

If they are going to bring in Cards (Which won't be safe) they may aswell go for a 100% Fingerprints/DNA/Retina(Very futuristic :D ) records and issue everyone with a serial number at birth.

6. Tattooed inside their right forearm............

7. Which it would appear, is exactly what they intend to do.

This won't go away even if the boy Cameron gets in mark my words.

8. It can't go away. As much as I don't like the idea of it, its not if its when.

To fail to do so in an age where people can fly overseas for £1 plus tax would be madness. People are moving faster than we can keep track of them and this means criminals/outlaws/terrorists/(Whatever you want to call them) are too. As we rely more and more on technology to do the work for us with Online shopping and plastic cash people need to move into the new age to adapt to it all too. The benefit for the government is they can keep an eye on you.

Tin Foil hat off now :D 1984 is 25 years late. I'm off to hide in the woods as I don't trust these feckers.

9. My bold.

Nail on head and no tin foil hat needed.

Just fact.

10. which is what people have been telling them since they were thought of. this government loves to hire experts but then ignore completely any result that doesnt fit with their original idea.
    a mate of mine works in security software for this kind of thing, and he mentioned a while ago there was a conference where the government proposed the planned security for the ID cards, he said their first reaction was to laugh in the ministers face as it was useless and unworkable even from a security point of view.

11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Mr. Jibber, you seem very trusting. Just one question - given how easy these things are to forge, and that the data will be held overseas, managed by low-paid workers in flaky outsourcing companies, just how are we going to keep criminals/outlaws/terrorists from sabotaging the system, changing the data to suit themselves?

IMHO, apart from meeting the demands of the European Identity Project, and pandering to our politicans' hatred of their own people, this will do little more than inconvenience the law-abiding, and help the lawbreakers. Maybe the Government should spend a bit more on proper policing and border control, rather than treating their law-abiding citizens with contempt? It would be cheaper, and more effective, I think.

12. ID cards are just an excuse anyway.

It is the ID database that the Govt wants and ID cards are a means to expedite it.

Welcome to Stasiland (UK).

13. I can remember the banks saying that ATM's could not be ripped off LOL