National Health Service

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Glad_its_all_over, Feb 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now I'm sure we've all heard the horror stories about the NHS, some here have suffered at its hands - and others still won't hear a word said against the ministering angels of the nursing profession. It's something of a crap shoot, it seems - some experiences are massively negative, others wholly positive, the bulk of them, I suspect are, you know, meh. One thing that is clear is that there is a problem - and the NHS, with its costs, its dominance by the producers and the unions and its institutional inefficiency and massive waste of public money, is by no means the envy of the world (well, maybe of the United States and Zimbabwe, for different reasons).

Here's a suggestion. National Health Service. Health Service. Service.

Set it up as a disciplined, uniformed organisation, with national pay scales, a rank system and a professional trade structure. Doesn't have to be military, although that sort of structure might be appropriate. Have folk actually in charge - and accountable for their actions.

Just off the top of my head, but wondering what the mighty brains of ARRSE think.
  2. The structure was based on the military but has been so messed with its unrecognisable.
  3. The NHS is a great concept, and not as poorly executed as it might seem. After all, it's cheaper than private medical insurance and you'll get a high standard of care should you require it. That's not to say it couldn't be better and/or cheaper.

One of the main issues with achieving change, I think, is that the NHS has been used for political tug of war since its inception. As a result, views are polarised. People are either fanatical about the NHS, or despise the organisation; and unfortunately, this means that any discussion about the NHS descends quickly into argument.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. It's an abomination that should be scrapped, it's political because it's a state run industry Massively wasteful and now as we are discovering more focused on paperwork than patients because of political interference. If more than one thousand people died in in the care of any other organisations heads would roll, not in the NHS though.

Scrap it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Good luck finding reasonably priced insurance to cover every medical problem you may have. When my last dog was old I was paying £80 a month I think and that didn't cover everything.
  6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

IMO its broken and needs starting again. it used to compete with drug companies and now its at their beck and call.
  7. Drug companies can't even give out a post it pad anymore. Drug reps are few and far between now.
  8. It was sort of like that originally, after all nearly everyone who was involved at the start had actually been in the military in WWII. However they all retired and Thatcherism came along at about the same time and staff started to vote with their feet because the 1940s model didn't pay very well.
  9. Think further back to Florence Nightingale and Mary Seacole.
  10. It's great if you're not one of the poor mother******s dead or dying (in their hundreds apparently) of neglect.
  11. They're making a fortune over here!
  12. Grumblegrunt

best friends dad was a doctor and had freebies gallore, my TA MO used to bring 'samples' on camp. they stripped out all the little companies and competition to a 'name that price' way of doing things, they don't need reps anymore as they are over a barrel, they use special interest groups and charities instead to kick up a fuss and force the nhs to buy mostly useless over expensive treatments.
  13. Bring back Matrons who ruled with a rod of iron, and Ward Sisters who scared the crap out of everyone - including the patients - if things weren't absolutely correct!
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Grumblegrunt

yeah this new nhs is full of hermers who cant frighten anyone with a healthy prostate.
  15. Sir Gerry Robinson had a go at changing things a while back, and how we laughed. It doesn't help matters that Tory slash and burn politics are back again with a vengeance. Presumably, the NHS does its best. However, the NHS doesn't seem to be a service, it's often arrogant, sometimes patronising, and a very unpleasant experience. Impressions at one Leicester hospital had us thinking they were all miserable and rude. Unfortunately, since watching two relatives starved to death under denial of care, and knowing NHS Trusts have been handsomely paid for results on the Liverpool Pathway, I have two rules. Don't expect elderly relatives to be safe, and never sleep while they're in hospital. Now just whose fault can that be. The NHS, and Community Social Care, cannot deny that their treatment of our geriatrics shames us all.

Care Quality Commission: Elderly denied dignity and respect - Telegraph
    • Like Like x 1