National Guard SF Unit — Training Deployments

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Jun 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I'll post a Website of a local National Guard Special Forces unit from the 19th SF Group (ABN)

It might be of some interest to members of your Airborne, SAS & TA units. This unit has lately sent ODAs to Afganistan, Iraq and the PI.

The interesting part of the site are IMHO, the on going training, etc.
  2. *Yawn*
  3. Trip, come on man, get a grip man. SF, providing the name of the CO and the senior and giving the damn address.

Thats why some on here take the spams so lightly, fcuk just give em targets to wear.
  4. Trip Wire please chill with the posts, you are setting yourself up for the slagging you seem to be getting.

@Chocolate Frog:In the US,the US Army Special forces (different from Navy SEALs,CAG,USAF STS,Force Recon) are not equivalent to the Royal MArines.These two unit's have differerent functions on the battlefield and their training reflects that.On the issue of security,i think the yank's have less of a worry when it comes to names of some of their USSF troops.It varies from unit to unit.However,the NG SF is different in that the are part timers although they have in their ranks guys who were former active duty. It is extremely hard to get info on CAG that is accurate although there was a training video that was carelessly leaked on the web which has subsequently been pulled.To be fair to the yanks, their SF do good work and think differently when compared to the conventional Army.Hope that helps
  5. Wha_dar, whilst I get what you are saying, that is just a difference between the two.

No disrespect to the Yanks intended but the do have a tendency to award the title SF to units like a drunken recruit in a pub full of totty. Brits tend to be a bit more snooty and elitest about it all. American soldiers also cut about with SF flashes, see Trip_wires signature block.

It isn't wrong, just different. Some American SF units have more akin to the Royal Marines. I doubt though you will find much info on the members of Delta Force however. Except it's CO Chuck Norris, he is harder than hard.

Yes, it is silly from our point of view but we have had a terrorist threat against us for 30 years.
  6. Off topic but i found this link that was quite interesting

7. I'm not sure that SF would be akin to Royal Marines, that would be more like the Rangers I think. The SF selection process--SFAS--is a real pain in the a**, I've had several friends go through it and whether they passed or failed it was an unpleasant experience all around. I'll say one thing about SF, their medics are incredible, probably the best thing on the battlefield next to a real doctor.
  8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

The posted website is a public one, anybody can acess it. The location of US Army National Guard Special Forces units, are listed in the regional/State phone books. As are the various SF Groups, listed here and there on the Internet. It is a no secret either, that most Special Forces Groups in the US are Stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC and Fort Campbell, Kentucky. The posted website has a lot to do with recruiting locally.

We haven't had the problems here (Yet.) with terrorist groups attacking individual soldiers, in the USA. such as your IRA Terrorists did. So, we haven't gotten as tight on that as your people have. In operational areas and on operations, etc. this changes and strict OPSEC is held. Do I think its right? No, but I'm just a has been retired guy, so I have nothing to say about it, nor can I chage the policy. As far as I know though, our SF units are working with yours in both Iraq and Afganistan and have no problem doing it and are getting along just fine.

As I recall, the IRA was pretty good at locating the PUBs where your soldiers drank, etc. I suspect that one could do this in lets say, in Hereford area.

A google of "Special Forces," usually brings up a wealth of info. Even your SAS has some info listed on the internet, although I haven't seen very many names. :p

BTW: I see apparently, I bored one person here, I'm sorry for that, my purpose posting this particular website, was to show some of the people that were wondering about our people, who go from active duty to the National Guard or Reserve and back to active duty, etc. A soldier in our National Guard SF Unit can volunteer for an active duty tour, and get it fairly easy. I also wanted to have people here, that might be in the TA SAS see the type of training and deployments that our local SF Guard unit preforms, etc. If one takes the time to check out the site, they might learn more about those things. If you have no interest in the American Nat. Guard SF, skip this website.

Note: The US Army Special Forces Groups, have nothing in common with your Marines or our Rangers. If you are interested and really want to find out what their mission is, there are many websites that will tell you what they do. The Special Operations Command has many types of Special Operation units in it, from the Navy SEALs, Army Rangers Special Forces, etc. They all have different missions and capabilities.
  9. The US has a larger Special Operations component compared to the Uk Armed forces but that is to be expected.The US military have units that fulfil different functions but at the same time these capabilities overlap. For example,for the white side SOF the USSF is adept at Foreign internal defense which is one of their prescrobed missions.The Navy SEALs can do FID too but the USSF have this arena as their bread and butter and i dare say are better at that mission.So on and so forth
  10. I know what your saying CF. I dont think that there are many on here who can quite get to grips with the set up of the US SF, they are as you said, a Para/Commando type set up. BUT dont tell that to the Paras or the Marines.....

Just as an aside, I was in (out now 17 years so more than a bit rusty), I am a Brit so dont let the Canada thing put you off. PERSEC/OPSEC has always been a biggie, why advertise. Better the mystique than fanfair.

Maybe I should amend my location?

Anyway no problems CF, agree 100% with what you wrote, just feels like your teaching me to suck eggs, in a nice way. But hopefully some others will benefit from your post. Cheers.

11. USSF mission culled from

Special Forces soldiers are carefully selected, specially trained, and capable of extended operations in extremely remote and hostile territory. They train to perform five doctrinal missions: Foreign Internal Defense (FID), Unconventional Warfare (UW), Special Reconnaissance (SR), Direct Action (DA) and Combating Terrorism (CBT). While Special Forces soldiers are capable of performing all of these missions, an increasing emphasis is being placed on FID and coalition warfare/support. FID operations are designed to help friendly developing nations by working with host country military and paramilitary forces to improve their technical skills, understanding of human rights issues, and to help with humanitarian and civic action projects.

A new collateral task that has emerged as a result of Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm is Coalition Support. Coalition warfare/support draws upon the Special Forces soldier's maturity, military skills, language skills, and cultural awareness. It ensures the ability of a wide variety of foreign troops to work together effectively in a wide variety of military exercises or operations such as Operation Desert Storm.

They are not setup to be like "Para/Commandos" at all.
  12. thats because the IRA didnt bite the hand that fed it! wonder if theyll return the vast amounts of weaponary to the US now its in decommissioning mode!
  13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Thanks Red Shrek! Very well done!
  14. Interesting site here on SF.
  15. There is this quote that goes something like one SF medic can acomplish much more than a full battalion of paratroops can.The 18D course is the longest of the 18 series MOS