Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

National Geographic or Awesome Photographs

A place to put Nat Geo or any other 'Awesome' photographs of your choice, hopefully they will give all of us some inspiration to take better shots.

Please add the copyright and the photographers name to any pictures posted. (If known).

I will start with some of the winners from the NG 2018 contest.

Grand-Prize Winner: Thousands of Volkswagen and Audi cars sit idle in the middle of California’s Mojave Desert. Models manufactured from 2009 to 2015 were designed to cheat emissions tests mandated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Following the scandal, Volkswagen recalled millions of cars. By capturing scenes like this one, I hope we will all become more conscious of and more caring toward our beautiful planet. #
© Jassen Todorov / National Geographic Photo Contest
main_1200.jpg

1st Place, People: I was looking to do a series of portraits showing people wearing their Sunday best when I made this photo of David Muyochokera. It was taken on his last Sunday working as a photographer at Weekend Studio, in Kibera—a large shantytown in Nairobi, Kenya. My friend Peter, a local, had pointed me to the photo studio just as I was about to leave the area. It was a stunning space, with whimsical backdrops and natural light coming through the doorway. David had worked there for 37 years, but Weekend Studio was about to close permanently. Phone cameras were so common now, he said, and fewer people wanted studio portraits. David planned to retire and return home to the countryside. I was troubled by the studio’s imminent closure, so I eventually took over the rent. A portrait of David now hangs at Weekend Studio in his memory. #
© Mia Collis / National Geographic Photo Contest
main_1200 (1).jpg

1st Place, Wildlife: It was early morning when I saw the wildebeests crossing Tanzania’s Mara River. The layering of dust, shade, and sun over the chaos of wildebeests kicking up water gives this picture a sense of mystique and allure. It’s almost like an old painting—I’m still compelled to search the detail of the image to absorb the unreal scene. #
© Pim Volkers / National Geographic Photo Contest
main_1200 (3).jpg

2018 in Photos: A Look at the Middle Months
As the year comes to a close, it’s time to take a look back at some of the most memorable events and images of 2018. Full Link

A ballerina watches a broadcast of the World Cup quarterfinal match between Russia and Croatia at the Mikhailovsky Theatre in St. Petersburg, Russia, on July 7, 2018. #
Anton Vaganov / Reuters
main_1200 (4).jpg

Mahto in the Woods jumps over a small creek on foot while his cousin Jayden Lookinghorse jumps over on his horse on the Cheyenne River Reservation in Green Grass, South Dakota, on May 31, 2018. Stephanie Keith, a photographer for Reuters, spent time with the Lookinghorse family on a 400-mile horse ride from Green Grass to Fort Laramie, Wyoming, commemorating 150 years of the Fort Laramie peace treaty between the Sioux Nation and the U.S. government. #
Stephanie Keith / Reuters
main_1200 (5).jpg

Haitham Abu Sabla, a Palestinian protester, is hit in the face with a tear-gas canister fired by Israeli troops during a protest marking Quds Day, or Jerusalem Day, at the Israel–Gaza border in the southern Gaza Strip on June 8, 2018. Photos of Sabla's shocking injury spread worldwide soon afterward. Sabla survived, but suffered serious damage to his upper jaw, teeth, and facial muscles, as well as extended intense exposure to the tear gas. #
Ibraheem Abu Mustafa / Reuters
main_1200 (6).jpg

A view of fields of flowers during the annual blossom in Castelluccio di Norcia, near Perugia, Italy, on July 12, 2018. #
Alessandro Bianchi / Reuters
main_1200 (7).jpg

Firefighters try to extinguish flames during a wildfire in the village of Kineta, near Athens, Greece, on July 24, 2018. Raging wildfires killed more than 80 people, including small children, and devoured homes and forests as terrified residents fled to the sea to escape the flames, authorities said. #
Valerie Gache / AFP / Getty
main_1200 (8).jpg

An aerial view of Anak Krakatau volcano during an eruption in Sunda Strait in South Lampung, Indonesia, on December 23, 2018. The tsunami is believed to have been triggered by an eruption event and underwater landslide at Anak Krakatau. #

main_1200.jpg

Nurul Hidayat / Antara Foto Agency / Reuters

A man reacts after identifying his relative among the bodies of tsunami victims in Carita on December 23, 2018. #
Fauzy Chaniago / AP
main_1200 (1).jpg

Snow covers the roofs of the so-called Alter Flecken, the historic core of downtown Freudenberg, Germany, with half-timbered houses from the 17th century, in the heart of the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia, near the city of Siegen, on December 16, 2018. #
Wolfgang Rattay / Reuters
main_1200 (2).jpg