national forces Cemetery

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dunc0936, Aug 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. without wanting to seem silly here, do we have a national forces cemetery like the yanks do???

2. No, but given that we bring out dead home now, IMHO I think we need one.
    edited to correct...... we don't need one but I think one is required.
  3. There isn't a national cemetery as such. But there is going to be an Armed Forces Memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum. This is planned to be complete in Autumn this year.

The Armed Forces Memorial
  4. That's far too patriotic for this bloody country. Would probably get chavved up in about 5 minutes as well
  5. Brookwood Military Cemetery is still in use. There are a number of KIA from Iraq and Afgahnistan who have been buried there. Additionally there is a dedicated plot for Chelsea Pensioners. This is a great treasure that is cared for and loved by the small group of staff who work there. Very, very impressive if you go and visit. It is designed along the same lines as a Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery in Europe.

I encourage you to go and visit.
  6. There is also a military cemetery in Tidworth.
  7. which was certainly used when i was there in the late 70's, so I presume it still is. Some photos here

I think you will find military cemetaries in most establshed garrison towns. Catterick has one I am sure.

I think it probably better to have cemetaries within reasonable reach of various parts of the country rather than a national one personally.