National Defence Medal (NDM)

#1
HM the Queen recently approved a NDM for the Australians to officially wear for both serving personnel and veterans. Not sure of the criteria but I think it is 2 years service since WW11.
A medal was also approved for the Canadians to officially wear, a sort of cold war medal, for serving at least 6 months in BAOR.
Why does the Queen approve these medals for Aussi's and Canadians but not for us Brits? Perhaps our Chiefs of Staff did not ask?
 

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
#3
Same scenario as the wearing of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia, approved by the Queen of Australia and the Queen of New Zealand but refused here on the advice of the Honours and Decorations Committee (a Foreign and Commonwealth Office body), on grounds which have been comprehensively rubbished elsewhere (see PJM/Borneo Vets websites). I assume Brit solution is the Vets' Badge.
 
#4
Mighty Big Ego, sorry but I think you did not see my point. For the record I have done lots of tours and got the gongs (and tee-shirts) to.
thanks
 
#7
Course it is tack, spend money on Military Vets, the government???? Not a bloody chance lads, if they that need it can't get the right kit, what chance this forgettable nonsense badge...Semper in facemus solum..Sole in porfundern varictum !
 

Attachments

#8
Yes, yes - the Queen and the Government are all total w@nkers for not giving us all an extra medal simply for serving :roll:

Get a grip, man. There are blokes who are missing limbs who will never get the chance to serve again who are content with one medal so why not go out and meet girls instead of posting cr@p about chocolate gongs?
 
#9
Reservist said:
HM the Queen recently approved a NDM for the Australians to officially wear for both serving personnel and veterans. Not sure of the criteria but I think it is 2 years service since WW11.
A medal was also approved for the Canadians to officially wear, a sort of cold war medal, for serving at least 6 months in BAOR.
Why does the Queen approve these medals for Aussi's and Canadians but not for us Brits? Perhaps our Chiefs of Staff did not ask?
Dont mention medals what ever you do - some on this site get very touchy on the subject -
 
#10
hellweg said:
Reservist said:
A medal was also approved for the Canadians to officially wear, a sort of cold war medal, for serving at least 6 months in BAOR.
Why does the Queen approve these medals for Aussi's and Canadians but not for us Brits? Perhaps our Chiefs of Staff did not ask?
Dont mention medals what ever you do - some on this site get very touchy on the subject -

As a canadian, I am very curious as to what medal you are referring to regarding BAOR service.

according to
THIS there never was one.

Nor according to

THIS
is there any mention of a 'BAOR' medal issued by the Cdn gov't.
 
#11
As a canadian, I am very curious as to what medal you are referring to regarding BAOR service.

according to
THIS there never was one.

Nor according to

THIS
is there any mention of a 'BAOR' medal issued by the Cdn gov't.[/quote]

I think he's referring to the Special Service Medal, which can be awarded for NATO service in Germany (amongst others) where the Soviets demobilized when they saw us coming around the corner with that big goalie stick. Pussies.
 
#12
devexwarrior said:
sunami said:
seaweed said:
I assume Brit solution is the Vets' Badge.
Which is total tack .....mine fell to pieces when I took it out of its posh box!
Feraro Rocher, Vets Badge and David Beckham-all come in a posh box.


Whazzat? Taxi? ah.....
:clap:
 
#14
Canader said:
As a canadian, I am very curious as to what medal you are referring to regarding BAOR service.

according to
THIS there never was one.

Nor according to

THIS
is there any mention of a 'BAOR' medal issued by the Cdn gov't.
I think he's referring to the Special Service Medal, which can be awarded for NATO service in Germany (amongst others) where the Soviets demobilized when they saw us coming around the corner with that big goalie stick. Pussies.[/quote]

Not sure now what I was referring to, I read about it (BAOR gong) somewhere....
But the NDM for the Australians is a fact whatever we may all think about it.
 
#15
Reservist said:
Canader said:
As a canadian, I am very curious as to what medal you are referring to regarding BAOR service.

according to
THIS there never was one.

Nor according to

THIS
is there any mention of a 'BAOR' medal issued by the Cdn gov't.
I think he's referring to the Special Service Medal, which can be awarded for NATO service in Germany (amongst others) where the Soviets demobilized when they saw us coming around the corner with that big goalie stick. Pussies.
Not sure now what I was referring to, I read about it (BAOR gong) somewhere....
But the NDM for the Australians is a fact whatever we may all think about it.[/quote]

Help yourself to one of these if you want:
No BAOR medal to see here, move along.
 
#16
Barrack Room Lawyer said:
Reservist said:
Canader said:
As a canadian, I am very curious as to what medal you are referring to regarding BAOR service.

according to
THIS there never was one.

Nor according to

THIS
is there any mention of a 'BAOR' medal issued by the Cdn gov't.
I think he's referring to the Special Service Medal, which can be awarded for NATO service in Germany (amongst others) where the Soviets demobilized when they saw us coming around the corner with that big goalie stick. Pussies.
Not sure now what I was referring to, I read about it (BAOR gong) somewhere....
But the NDM for the Australians is a fact whatever we may all think about it.
Help yourself to one of these if you want:
No BAOR medal to see here, move along.[/quote]

Thanks for the web-site info Barrack Room Laywer....... You are right... move along, next subject.......
 
#19
If a National Defence Medal were to come in the same form as that Christmas Tree decoration they call the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal, then you can shove it. The QGJM is without doubt the worst medal which has ever been issued to British and Commonwealth troops, it's utter crap and was an insult to issue such a trashy gong.

They showed they can get it right with the 1977 Jubilee, which is silver and in my opinion is one of the nicest Coronation and Jubilee medals issued since Victoria's 1887 and 1897 Jubilee medals.

However, I remember what a farce the issue of 1977 Jubilee was.

In the RAF the Group Captain Station Commander got one, as did the Wing Commanders down. If lucky the Station Warrant Officer got one or the senior NCO in the unit, then if any others were left an Airman, if lucky, may have got one.

Black Buck One - Out
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads