National Black Police Association is guilty of racism

Prince_Rupert said:
the BPA seek the advancemnt of black people, not discrimination against white people[/color]
Preventing whites from becoming full members and restricting their voting rights is about as blatant an example of racial discrimination as you could hope to find. It's illegal and the BPA would have been prosecuted by now if they weren't the BPA.

Your argument implies that the apartheid governments in South Africa did not discriminate against the black population of that country by denying them citizenship and voting rights.

Prince_Rupert

What on Earth are you wittering about? That was my point exactly. The MOBOs celebrate music of black origin and are watched by a large number of white people and the Proms, as an example, are available for all to celebrate music that is primarily of white origin. I'm failing to see your point.

Classical music is NOT about skin colour. It’s about TIME PERIOD in Europe when there were NO renowned composers other then white.

Exactly as I said. Are you reading my post correctly?

I don’t think you read your own post correctly: you put emphasis on the fact of the EXISTENCE of “white only” papers; I drew your attention the fact that “white only” are NOT officially/government promoted, while “black only” are. See the difference?

I mentioned slavery nowhere and the BPA seek the advancemnt of black people, not discrimination against white people

The advancement of black people based on what, their abilities or their skin colour? Isn’t “advancement” of one racial group over the rest what we call RACISM?

Domovoy said:
Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
Domovoy said:
Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
The effects of slavery are still prevalent in society today. That's not to say that it is intentional, but it is still there on certain levels. And that means that both black and white people are affected. The subject matter we are debating proves this does it not?
1. Blacks and Asians took active part in slave trading.

2. The subject matter we are debating proves only one thing: there are enough unscrupulous people in our society that would use their skin colour or their religion, or both for personal advancements.
I couldn't agree more, although I would add that white people are also guilty of this.
Don't we all know about white people's guilt?

How often do you hear blacks and Asians apologize for slavery? Hypocrites!
I now formally apologise for my people being raped, pillaged, enslaved, murdered, tortured, maimed, and having our culture destroyed and our land taken. For being looked at as nothing more than worthless animals, and for that ingrained mindset being carried down though the ages by those who did those things to us. Passed on from generation to generation. And to now, when I walk down the street, the disgusted looks I get from people because of the colour of my skin, being followed around the supermarket by security guards because I might steal something, old ladies grabbing their purses because I might steal it. Being treated differently at work because of the colour of my skin. In order to have slaves, they had to be looked at as worthless, less than human. Those opinions have been passed down just the same as the language one speaks. THAT is why slavery is directly linked to racism and the attitudes held in British society today. If you think it is wrong that people want to be seen as equals and respected then that is your choice. I believe it is just and right.

Thank Gilmour nobody has mentioned the question of "reparation" today for slavery 200 years ago.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Domovoy said:
I don’t think you read your own post correctly: you put emphasis on the fact of the EXISTENCE of “white only” papers; I drew your attention the fact that “white only” are NOT officially/government promoted, while “black only” are. See the difference?
No. The original poster made the assertion that there was a black only newspaper but no whites only newspaper. He was wrong but only in that there are some that have a specific target audience. No-one is stopping a white person picking up and reading a copy of the Voice.

The entire idea that there is a blacks only or whites only paper is laughable anyway. Does the newsagent refuse to sell you it if you're not the 'correct' tint or something?

[quote="Ihavejamonmyjeans.[/quote]

I now formally apologise for my people being raped, pillaged, enslaved, murdered, tortured, maimed, and having our culture destroyed and our land taken. For being looked at as nothing more than worthless animals, and for that ingrained mindset being carried down though the ages by those who did those things to us. Passed on from generation to generation. And to now, when I walk down the street, the disgusted looks I get from people because of the colour of my skin, being followed around the supermarket by security guards because I might steal something, old ladies grabbing their purses because I might steal it. Being treated differently at work because of the colour of my skin. In order to have slaves, they had to be looked at as worthless, less than human. Those opinions have been passed down just the same as the language one speaks. THAT is why slavery is directly linked to racism and the attitudes held in British society today. If you think it is wrong that people want to be seen as equals and respected then that is your choice. I believe it is just and right.[/quote]

No need to apologise as sarcasm really won't work here.

MOST people don't look on you as a worthless animal. The mindset you talk of has largely disappeared. The attitudes held in British Society toady aren not as you describe them. If SOME people don't like your skin colour then ignore the feckers.

Incidentally I am glad you are NOT a Copper because your attitude stinks and you have a massive chip on your shoulder!

Nothing wrong with equality! As in - we are all equal.

rickshaw-major said:
[quote="Ihavejamonmyjeans.
I now formally apologise for my people being raped, pillaged, enslaved, murdered, tortured, maimed, and having our culture destroyed and our land taken. For being looked at as nothing more than worthless animals, and for that ingrained mindset being carried down though the ages by those who did those things to us. Passed on from generation to generation. And to now, when I walk down the street, the disgusted looks I get from people because of the colour of my skin, being followed around the supermarket by security guards because I might steal something, old ladies grabbing their purses because I might steal it. Being treated differently at work because of the colour of my skin. In order to have slaves, they had to be looked at as worthless, less than human. Those opinions have been passed down just the same as the language one speaks. THAT is why slavery is directly linked to racism and the attitudes held in British society today. If you think it is wrong that people want to be seen as equals and respected then that is your choice. I believe it is just and right.[/quote]

No need to apologise as sarcasm really won't work here.

MOST people don't look on you as a worthless animal. The mindset you talk of has largely disappeared. The attitudes held in British Society toady aren not as you describe them. If SOME people don't like your skin colour then ignore the feckers.

Incidentally I am glad you are NOT a Copper because your attitude stinks and you have a massive chip on your shoulder!

Nothing wrong with equality! As in - we are all equal.[/quote]

You're right, I do have massive chip on my shoulder, but wouldn't anyone if they were treated the way I have been for the last 25 years???

Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
You're right, I do have massive chip on my shoulder, but wouldn't anyone if they were treated the way I have been for the last 25 years???
God help us if you ever get a job that gives you power. Still not much chance of that, you are of such a standard that even with postitive discrimination working in your favour you failed.

TwentyBandH said:
Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
God help us if you ever get a job that gives you power. Still not much chance of that, you are of such a standard that even with postitive discrimination working in your favour you failed.
Let's hope all n*****s fail eh?

Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
TwentyBandH said:
Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
You might say that, I wouldn't. Unlike you I don't use such racist language or use the word n***er.

You seem to be a racist and THE reason positive discrimination is wrong for any one of any race.

Commander Undizraible also called for a change in the law so that more Muslim officers can be recruited and fast-tracked to gather intelligence to pass on to communities that harbour disaffected youths and elements.

He told Sky News Online that positive discrimination was needed to embed extremism in areas where English is hardly spoken and root out native English speakers.

He said senior officers want to be able to say: "I need an English officer in this division right now."

Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
TwentyBandH said:
Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
That's not the point 20BH was making and only goes to show that his view is correct...

Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
I now formally apologise for my people being raped, pillaged, enslaved, murdered, tortured, maimed, and having our culture destroyed and our land taken. For being looked at as nothing more than worthless animals, and for that ingrained mindset being carried down though the ages by those who did those things to us. Passed on from generation to generation. And to now, when I walk down the street, the disgusted looks I get from people because of the colour of my skin, being followed around the supermarket by security guards because I might steal something, old ladies grabbing their purses because I might steal it. Being treated differently at work because of the colour of my skin. In order to have slaves, they had to be looked at as worthless, less than human. Those opinions have been passed down just the same as the language one speaks. THAT is why slavery is directly linked to racism and the attitudes held in British society today. If you think it is wrong that people want to be seen as equals and respected then that is your choice. I believe it is just and right.
Can you be more specific as your argument smacks of revisionist history? The slavery of the British empire on the triangular trading system did not subjugate a "people" to slavery IMO. Considering that the black African slaves where almost exclusively bought from black African slavers refutes that point.

How could the traders possibly strike deals with people they considered to be "worthless animals"? That makes no sense. The less than humans argument came later in order to justify keeping slaves against public opposition over slavery IIRC.

There is nothing wrong with viewing all people as equal under the law. That is a damned good thing. There is something wrong with demanding special treatment because of race/skin colour.

Which country do you think did the most to stop the slave trade?

Almost every nation on Earth had slave based (of a sort) economies until comparatively recently. Who did the most in fighting against that?

Are you really defending a race based organisation and trying to justify that as being about racial equality? WTF happened to Martin Luther King's ideals? Now that was a man I would be willing to listen to/follow/vote for.

Domovoy

Ruperts comment on music centred on The Proms and not classical music. I would however like to take you up on your assertion that there were no non white classical composers in the time period you specified. I suggest you read up on Thyagaraja, Muthuswami Dikshitar, and Syama Sastri.

Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
OMG Jammy isn't black he's a Jock. Or possibly Celtic or maybe he is Jewish?

Nicely balanced view of the word - fcuk off big chip on BOTH shoulders.

Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
I now formally apologise for my people being raped, pillaged, enslaved, murdered, tortured, maimed, and having our culture destroyed and our land taken. For being looked at as nothing more than worthless animals, and for that ingrained mindset being carried down though the ages by those who did those things to us. Passed on from generation to generation.

And to now, when I walk down the street, the disgusted looks I get from people because of the colour of my skin, being followed around the supermarket by security guards because I might steal something, old ladies grabbing their purses because I might steal it. Being treated differently at work because of the colour of my skin. In order to have slaves, they had to be looked at as worthless, less than human. Those opinions have been passed down just the same as the language one speaks. THAT is why slavery is directly linked to racism and the attitudes held in British society today.

If you think it is wrong that people want to be seen as equals and respected then that is your choice. I believe it is just and right.
First Paragraph:
My Bold ... Thisis the very reason we have a problem in todays society ... regardless of the events of the past, and regardless of the skin colour or ethinic background or cultural stance of the poster; the issues we are now experiencing seem to stem from this absurd idea that we are directly linked as individuals to the events of the past. The past provides us with lessons to learn from, but carrying around a 7th generation chip on the shoulder, or bucket of guilt is only damaging to society and individuals today.

They are not my people, or yours. We are individuals, and as such are entitled to equality in the simple terms of being treated fairly and the same without prejudice or discrimination. The whole idea of balanced workforces rankles within me ... the balance should be concerned with skills and productivity and not about background or colour.

Second Paragraph:
I will happily judge you on your personality and merits, and think poorly of you, and I can only empathise if people really look down upon you in the manner described ... but I cant help formulating the opinion that you are writing out of a barely disguised paranoid stance. Is your life really that bad, that you see such a hideous facet of life ... and feel forced to paint all other people in such a judgemental and discriminatory light?

Third Paragraph:
People SHOULD be seen as equals and respected, but your ranting suggests that is far from how you see it. Instead of allowing this bitter feeling that certain groups of peole are entitled to apologies and 'advancement' society should be moving forwards ... the things stopping this positive progression of harmony and equality is the small voice of the Individual feeling 'hard done by' and the idiocy of Government who pander to it.

Lets move forward for f@ck sake, we are all equal ... and we are all flawed ... lets remember the past but let it lie

Sven said:
Domovoy

Ruperts comment on music centred on The Proms and not classical music. I would however like to take you up on your assertion that there were no non white classical composers in the time period you specified. I suggest you read up on Thyagaraja, Muthuswami Dikshitar, and Syama Sastri.
No Sven it was on the music as well as the Proms and he hasn't denied that. As to the above composers - never heard of them and I probably haven't heard any of their music but I can't be certain.

But the main point is - so what?

The Proms is about popular Classical Music not introducing stuff nobody has heard before and frankly don't give a sh1t about.

Sad but true.