NAtional Archives

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by system-switch, Feb 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been trying to get the war diary of 6th Bn Seaforth Highlanders from the National Archives with no luck for some time. I know it exists as I have a photocopy of a section I got a while back. Anybody else had difficulties with them?

2. Do you mean that you have contacted NA and a poor response, or been there and unable to find it ?

3. These are the National Archive references for the war diaries:
    WO 166/4652 INFANTRY: 6 Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's). 1939 Sept.- Dec., 1940 July - 1941 Dec.
    WO 166/8950 6 Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 1942 Jan.- Mar.
    WO 167/821 6 Seaforth Highlanders (Ross Shire Buffs, Duke of Albany's) 1940 Jan., Feb., May, June
    WO 169/5061 6 Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 1942 July- Dec.
    WO 169/10293 6 Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 1943 Jan.- Dec.
    WO 169/16328 6 Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 1944 Aug.- Dec.
    WO 169/20088 6 Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 1945 Jan., Feb.
    WO 170/1474 6 Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 1944 Jan.- July
    WO 171/5269 6 Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 1945 Mar.-Dec.
    WO 171/9282 6 Seaforth 1946 Jan., Feb.
    WO 174/35 6 Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 1942 Mar-June

If you're interested I do paid document copying at the National Archives (10 pence per page).

4. Should have been a bit clearer. I found the reference number (I am looking for the WW1 Diary - specifically covering the Battalions actions during the Battle of Arras) but it would not let me purchase it for an unknown reason. I e-mailed but got no response from them. All very frustrating.

5. Is this the diary you're after: WO 95/2867, 152 Infantry Brigade: 6 Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, 1915 Apr. - 1919 Apr. ?
    You have to request a copy estimate, wait a few weeks and then have a coronary when you receive the quote.
    (Feel free to get back to me at that point ;-) )

6. Ah, the light now shines bright upon my thick head. Thanks for the info. Shall curtail the wifes spending

7. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I spent a very pleasant few hours in the NA about 18 months ago browsing through some war diaries related to a relative's WW1 service. It has to be said the experience of reading the original documents was quite something ....

8. Have to agree Bad CO, there's nothing quite like getting history directly from the contemporary records - it becomes addictive. The wealth of material available at Kew is outstanding, much of it untapped as well.

9. According to the latest TNA newsletter this system is now redundant. A new pricing model has been put into place so it might be worth checking with them again.