National Anthem

Discussion in 'Officers' started by rach-ni, Oct 22, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Probably a very ridiculous question to all of you lot, but....

Do officers spectating as part of the crowd at a Military (Passing Out) Parade, not in uniform, stand to attention for the duration of the anthem? It has been a while since I have been at anything like this not in uniform!!

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I bloody hope so.
  3. Not just Officers, one would hope that everyone would have the good manners to stand up whatever the occasion whenever the National Anthem is played.

4. Auld-Yin

Well said!
  5. I had to re-read the above to understand he was not asking if he should Stand. Only if he should Stand to Atention....

To which the answer is YES. It is no differant for any member of the Armed Forces be he/she in or out of uniform.
  6. Yes you are right, a ridiculous question. What is with Officers and common sense, Ah yes, they don't have any.
  7. What about this from the history of the 17th Lancers, one of the QRL's antecedent regiments?

"Interestingly it was during this period that the 17th gained the nickname 'Horse Marines'. During the campaign two troops of the Regiment were embarked on HMS Success as this ship was without its own compliment of marines. The crew therefore described them as 'Horse Marines' and the nickname stuck. It is also due to this service that the officers of the 17th adopted the naval tradition of not standing for the National Anthem, a practice that continues in The Queen's Royal Lancers."

Rest of the article is here

Confused? Yup, me too.
  8. NavalOfficers & Petty Officers in the Ward Room (Mess) by tradition do not stand for the Loyal Toast, or the National Anthem within the Ward Room only! It goes back to low roofs on ships of the line and the like.....
    Anywhere else they still stand as everybody else does...... And that includes The Queen's Royal Lancers.
  9. okely dokely,confusion cleared, cheers for that.
  10. Auld-Yin

Mike - you are quite right. The question was about a Passing Out Parade - not a Mess night.
  11. Yup, and I was confused about that particular rule anyway, so I thought I'd jump in and ask. My fault for leading the discussion astray.
  12. And take your ruddy hat off, too!!!