Nation of Criminals

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blokeonabike, Oct 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last week we were sitting in the office discussing radar detectors / GPS speed trap warning devices for our cars and so on. None of us are exactly career criminals yet there we were actively discussing the best way to evade the law and not one of us feeling guilty about it!

It occured to me that the current Government has succeeded in turning the UK from a "nation of shopkeepers" into a "nation of criminals".

How many people do you know who trust the police or respect authority outside the Military Chain-of-Command?

2. Sir Robert Peel's Nine Principles:

1. The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.
    2. The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon the public approval of police actions.
    3. Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observation of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.
    4. The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.
    5. Police seek and preserve public favor not by catering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.
    6. Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice, and warning is found to be insufficient.
    7. Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
    8. Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions, and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.
    9. The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.

what more can be said! :roll:

3. Whilst I think that the majority of speed camaras are placed in order to generate revenue and not the stated aim of preventing accidents in a high accident area, my opinion is that if You do the crime then You pay the fine.

There is a cast iron way of not getting caught in speed traps - don't break the speed limit and therefore the law

4. Ahh yes but robert Peel was'nt about in the days of politicaly motivated chief constables, minority groups, and government targets.

5. Can you let me know where this perfect world is that you live. Persecuting someone for doing 3mph over the limit is ludicrous especially as a lot of speedos especially on older vehicles are not accurate, that is why there used to be a 10% allowance for error, something which the chief constables are not taking into consideration. Its amazing that they will have a zero tolerance on speeding but not on more serious crime. You are correct in one aspect, the cameras produce revenue, they are nearly always placed at strategic points, at the end of long straights,or in a dip in the road. Rarely have I seen one on the approach to a school, old peoples home or shopping centre, places where pedestrians are especially vulnerable. I believe one was set up near a school in the midlands but failed to get any serious revenue after a month and was then removed by the safety camera partnership. The fact is that these things cost money and need to be paid for...by the public. :x

6. I don't think I have ever heard of a driver claiming that his ticket was due to a faulty speedo. Further, I drive a 13 year old vehicle myself and the only time I have set off a camara I was breaking the speed limit.

Cameras are not meant to be placed where there may or not be a higher chance of accidents - the police could claim that anywhere has that potential. They are supposed to be placed around black spots. In my area, cameras are placed in their rightful place - but in an awful lot more are placed where they shouldn't be.

7. Good one this morning. Mobile 'afety' camera on a 40 MPH stretch at the bottom of a hill just round a bend - so clearly there to catch people whose speed creeps up down hill. There is a right turn just after the camera. Unfortunately as everyone in the column of traffic had their heads in the cockpit watching the speedo whilst going down hill nobody noticed the guy turning right. What a commotion!

I was so pleased by the contribution of that camera to the safety of our roads that I wanted to go and thank the operators. But I couldn't be bothered.

Funnily enough, the speed limit on that stretch of road used to be 60 MPH but was reduced because of the number of bikers killing themselves using the road as a test track. The bikers still gun it down the hill and round the bends so the camera is all but useless.

8. Sven, you appear to have missed my point - but maybe thats my fault.
    I am aware I can avoid being caught by not speeding, what I was getting at is the fact that I, and almost everyone I know, now regards the law as something to be got around rather than something to be obeyed.

This was not always the case and is, I believe, directly linked to a general feeling that law enforcement is now more about raising revenue from fines than it is about catching "real" criminals. After all the chav scum who terrorise neigbourhoods rarely have any money and didnt work for whatever they do have so they dont care if you do introduce new £50 on the spot fines.