Nation(al) Service

endure

GCM
Yes, it was a joy to talk to Bank employee from your town - compared with a robot- voice, or someone from Uttar Pradesh who was just manning a phoneline.
I haven't spoken to a bank employee for years. I run my finances on either my PC or mobile phone.

Giving claimants a monthly bus/ rail/ tram pass would help. It's no point applying for work you can't get to, yet DWP guidelines have ridiculous distances you're supposed to try within.
I honestly have no idea about that, given the cost of travel I would agree with you - public transport only though, not Petrol we’re not made of money.

Giving claimants a monthly bus/ rail/ tram pass would help. It's no point applying for work you can't get to, yet DWP guidelines have ridiculous distances you're supposed to try within.
Aye!

I was expected to travel for up to 90 minutes when l was unemployed back in 2013.

Which either by road or by rail would be similar for me to travel from Bridgend where l live to the Bristol area each day......

I would have been working just to pay my travel expenses.

Aye!

I was expected to travel for up to 90 minutes when l was unemployed back in 2013.

Which either by road or by rail would be similar for me to travel from Bridgend where l live to the Bristol area each day......

I would have been working just to pay my travel expenses.
Way back I got offered a job as an apprentice aircraft engineer, to get to work I’d have needed to take 4 busses and what they were paying I’d have had nothing left. It was the old YT scheme. Shame I didn’t take it as it wouldn’t have been much out of my lifetime.

Way back I got offered a job as an apprentice aircraft engineer, to get to work I’d have needed to take 4 busses and what they were paying I’d have had nothing left. It was the old YT scheme. Shame I didn’t take it as it wouldn’t have been much out of my lifetime.
I was on the Y.T.S. back in the very early 90's......we really were working for Dole Money.

I was on the Y.T.S. back in the very early 90's......we really were working for Dole Money.
I think the figures worked out that it would be costing me to work there - parents were brassic so I didn’t really have much choice in my mind, looking back I could have done it and it’s not like I needed to eat lunch being a little bit of a chubby git.

I think the figures worked out that it would be costing me to work there - parents were brassic so I didn’t really have much choice in my mind, looking back I could have done it and it’s not like I needed to eat lunch being a little bit of a chubby git.
In my mind it was never going to be worth working a full week for a cheque for all of £29.50.

I didn't have to pay any Travel Expenses as the Works Van used to pick me from the house.

Still regret having to go on the Y.T.S. for 15 months though even though there was nothing else around at the time for School Leavers.

In my mind it was never going to be worth working a full week for a cheque for all of £29.50.

I didn't have to pay any Travel Expenses as the Works Van used to pick me from the house.

Still regret having to go on the Y.T.S. for 15 months though even though there was nothing else around at the time for School Leavers.
I only regret it in so far as ‘what if’, I’ve had some pretty shit jobs in my life that I may never have done if I had got on the bus.

That was another scam. The training providers were paid quite handsomely per candidate, for up to 2 years each, from which they paid your weekly allowance.
I thought Employers could claim X amount of money back for taking a Y.T.S. Employee on?

Still, l believe that had Employers had to pay their Trainees a proper hourly rate a lot of those Y.T.S. Training Courses would never have existed.

I only regret it in so far as ‘what if’, I’ve had some pretty shit jobs in my life that I may never have done if I had got on the bus.
A lot of Y.T.S. Trainees were thrown away at the end of their 2 year courses because Employers did not want to pay them a proper full time wage.

There is no point in looking back and wondering what-if. I have done that far too many times, it doesn't change anything.

A lot of Y.T.S. Trainees were thrown away at the end of their 2 year courses because Employers did not want to pay them a proper full time wage.

There is no point in looking back and wondering what-if. I have done that far too many times, it doesn't change anything.
Definitely. Doesn’t stop me looking up a red head on Facebook from time to time though

That was another scam. The training providers were paid quite handsomely per candidate, for up to 2 years each, from which they paid your weekly allowance.
Indeed. . The managers of A4E ended up in jail for serious fraud

Up here in Edinburgh anything similar like Ingeus or Re-employ do the task of training /work provider then get closed down because

1) They cost a bloody fortune

2) They prove themselves useless

It's interesting some people on these type of threads think the dolies should be working for their benefits but are more than happy to see parasitic training providers scoop up a fortune from the tax payer for doing absolutely next to nothing. If I remember correctly if Ingeus found someone a job they'd receive a gratuity from the government for several grand. The fact the unemployed person probably found a job under their own steam had evereything to do with it

Last edited:
Would there not be a similar effect with jobs being created in the North?

Not taking the piss but imagine 100,000 jobs being created, plus assorted caterers, cleaners etc. Probably a better spend of money? Even if they were repainting roads for 2 years.

Latest Threads