Nasi Goreng Recipe?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Gundulph, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone have a link to how to make a decent Nasi Goreng the hallowed asian rice meal? :p

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

3. Fry a load of leftovers with some cooked rice, garlic and chilli. Add some chinese five spice, some tumeric and some chopped fresh corriander and robert is your mothers brother

4. How about this ?

Hundreds of variations on it, apparently, so above is as gospel as anything else.

EDIT: Oops. My google-fu is weak today. Carry on...

5. Thanks fellas, looks like the magic ingredient is the dried shrimp paste and soy sauce, Oh! and not forgetting that sliced up fried egg!

Nice One, I owe you all a pint if we ever meet up... :wink:

6. The best link for 'doing it yourself' seems to be to:

For the nasi goreng paste:
    3 tbsp groundnut oil
    4 large garlic cloves, chopped roughly
    2 large shallots, chopped roughly
    15g/½oz roasted salted peanuts
    6 red finger chillies, chopped roughly
    1 tbsp tomato purhe
    ½ tsp blachan (dried shrimp paste)
    1 tbsp ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce)

7. The Sloppos normally knock up a half decent one, though their numbers are dwindling, sadly. Great use of left over breakfast items though!

8. i reckon you should just try "Singapore Fried Rice" or "Singapore Chow Mein" as it is near enough the same and available in most Asian eateries ( :hungry: just ask them to make it extra hot..unless you go to the Hong Kong Garden? in Warminster...as it's ring sting factor 7 already..hehehe :twisted: )

9. Currently in Boz 105AVRE so looking for a decent recipe from start to finish, found a few that mentioned "and just add your packet of Nasi Goreng" not many shops selling those in Sarajevo I'm afraid... 8O

10. 5. NASI GORENG
    10 PORTIONS

Ingredients
    Cold boiled rice 1 kg
    Onions 400 g
    Garlic 2 cloves
    Oil 200 ml
    Eggs 2
    Cooked meat 300 g
    Prawns 300 g
    Spring onions 3
    Soy sauce
    Salt
    Pepper

Method
    1. Peel and finely chop the onions and the garlic and lightly cook in hot oil.
    2. Cut the meat into julienne, add to the onions and heat through.
    3. Add the rice, prawns, salt, pepper and soy sauce and heat thoroughly until heated through.
    4. Make a thin omelette with the eggs and cut it into strips 5 mm wide. Roughly chop the green part of the spring onions.
    5. Serve the rice on a heated dish garnished with the omelette strips and the chopped spring onions.

Note: Sliced cucumber, peanuts and mango chutney may be served as side dishes.
    Gundulph, from your friendly website ex-sloppy. Straight from the Macs Manual, so you know it's pukka.

11. Now THAT is Do-able Many Thanks Sainstone... :D

12. No probs, Gundulph, have got the whole manual on E-copy, so if you need anything else, feel free to ask.

13. The Egg Operator Lasagne is good stuff too.

Bring back Army chefs (I never thought I would ever say that)...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.