NASA Feeds, UFOs and other unusual things in the sky

Bruce Dickinson Claudia Bunce has Jade Fever. She has heard about a jade rabbit on the moon.

1638918605568.png

Maybe not so but any thoughts on the Phildelphia Experiment, the USS Eldridge and 10 mins of what May or May not have happened?

Cheers
I agree with Victor Meldrew. I don't believe it. The article speculates on the nature of the tests.

"The definite nature of this eerie experiment is yet to be determined. However, the possible tests included experiments like magnetic invisibility, radar invisibility, optical invisibility, or degaussing which made the ship immune to magnetic mines. The experiments were conducted with the intention of retrieving undesirable results"

From Wiki:

1652398916358.png

The story is considered a hoax: there is a general lack of evidence for the alleged experiment; the person who started the myth—a merchant seaman named Carl Meredith Allen—admitted that he had made up the story and relayed it to author Morris K. Jessup; and the USS Eldridge's deck log and war diary (preserved on microfilm) show that the ship was never in Philadelphia between August and December 1943.[6]

On 15 January 1951, she was transferred under the Mutual Defense Assistance Act to Greece where she served as Leon (D54).[2] Leon was decommissioned on 5 November 1992, and on 11 November 1999, was sold as scrap to the Piraeus-based firm V&J Scrapmetal Trading Ltd.[3]

USS Eldridge - Wikipedia The only remaining ship in it's class is USS Slater, a museum ship USS Slater - Wikipedia

Magnetic Invisibility? What do they mean by that? Degaussing the hull could reduce magnetic bias and make a ship less likely to attract a magnetic mine. It would not prevent the ship from being detected magnetically though. During that period of time radar "invisibility" could mean different things. (a) you want to hide your radar by using a frequency the enemy wasn't using or (b) you wanted to obscure your presence by means of chaff or other countermeasures.

From wiki:

Degaussing - The original method of degaussing was to install electromagnetic coils into the ships, known as coiling. In addition to being able to bias the ship continually, coiling also allowed the bias field to be reversed in the southern hemisphere, where the mines were set to detect "S-pole down" fields. British ships, notably cruisers and battleships, were well protected by about 1943.

Installing such special equipment was, however, far too expensive and difficult to service all ships that would need it, so the navy developed an alternative called wiping, which Goodeve also devised, and which is now also called deperming. This procedure dragged a large electrical cable along the side of the ship with a pulse of about 2000 amperes flowing through it. This induced the proper field into the ship in the form of a slight bias.

Degaussing - Wikipedia

Even 2000 Amps through an insulated conductor isn't going to cause an auroral effect, although if it burned through the insulation and shorted or sailors came in to direct electrical contact it would be deadly. Magnetic induction might cause effects in a coil that magnetically coupled with the field. A very high voltage discharge might cause some arcing between bare conductors but not an aurora or eerie green/blue glow, such as a sailor might have witnessed during a convoy in the far North. More likely is the combination of natural phenomenon (Aurora Borialis) mixed with the mystery of scientific trials to become science fiction.

1652398459676.png

"RMS Queen Mary arriving in New York Harbor, 20 June 1945, with thousands of U.S. soldiers – note the prominent degaussing coil running around the outer hull" Degaussing - Wikipedia

As far as optical invisibility was concerned, it was not possible other than making smoke, keeping below the horizon or using camouflage techniques to break up the distinctive shape.

unicorn77

War Hero
I have this kind of conversation with me missus many times. She says "just because you think it didn't happen, it still could have done." And I say "it's not that I think it DIDN'T happen, it's that I think the evidence FOR it happening is negligible/incredible/etc". And then she goes on bleating about anything being possible.....

Slime

LE
A podcast on the Philadelphia conspiracy.

I post this one, not because I even remotely believe the conspiracy, but because some of the other podcasts from this series might be worth listening too.

Examples being their utter contempt in their ‘Star wars holiday special’ podcast, or their show on the Kellogg brothers ( the makers of cereal), and just how strange they were.

I have this kind of conversation with me missus many times. She says "just because you think it didn't happen, it still could have done." And I say "it's not that I think it DIDN'T happen, it's that I think the evidence FOR it happening is negligible/incredible/etc". And then she goes on bleating about anything being possible.....
And that children is why nobody buys the complete set of the Encyclopaedia Britannica anymore as mummies know everything.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
And that children is why nobody buys the complete set of the Encyclopaedia Britannica anymore as mummies know everything.
That's women mate. When I married she was Mrs Right. Afterwards I found out her middle name was always.