" Narrative " verdict on dead RMPs.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Private_Pike, Mar 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick comment.

Guys and Girls, I'm sure you all know how sensitive this issue is to the families, the unit and some Arrse members who were personal friends and colleagues of the fallen.

Please temper your comments on this thread accordingly.

2. Seems that the unanswered question is who had all the Iridium Phones and who was actually using them. Shouldn't be difficult to ascertain, each phone will have been signed for - by a namde individual for a specific purpose and the phone billing records will show who was actually using them. I mean obviously some vehicles may have been isued them "just in case" but the facts would be interesting??
  3. The silence is deafening!
  4. Amazing, that so many can review a thread and no one provide an input.
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Don't you think that is just so Outstanding! :roll:
  6. Umm yes - I wonder why??
  7. Was it a question of them all being booked-out? I understood that one of the problems in their widespread use was fact that they did not work inside vehicles - i.e. the sat receiver had to be held out of the window. This moving vehicle factor also meant that catching a signal was not very efficient either. Hence "they're no good" started with "F** 'em, why bother" to follow.
    (I know I wasn't there but I seem to recall evidence as to holding out of window being offered up in BoI)
  8. perhaps they were issued out but were not used as they were difficult to use "on the move". However for static, isolated units without any other relable comms they would have been vital - literally!
  9. They work ok on the move and inside rovers, I used to have one on issue, just never used it cos I couldn't be arrsed
  10. I would enter some input on this but I have no idea what started the thread off!!!!
  11. Read from the top oh Chocolate frog.

Excellent point to remeber the sensitivities of those grieving, they need the same answers.
  12. If my 25 years in the Corps is anything to go by the main problem that the patrol had was very poor leadership at the officer level. RMP Officers tend to think that they will earn brownie points if they manage to do the job with what resources they have to hand. They don't want to be seen to be 'bothering' their superiors by asking for what their men really need. I wish I had a pound for every time I've heard one say "No it's OK Sir we will manage." Perhaps, now that RMP is part of the AGC things will change, but I for one will not be holding my breath!

My thoughts are with the relatives. There but for the grace.......
  13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

It bothers me that we are seeking to 'point fingers' at either one or a small group of individuals as principally responsible for the deaths of these men. In reality, those prinicipally responsible are the Iraqis who killed them; after that a considerable number of actions contributed to them being in the situation they were but mostly, it seems to me, it was a lack of situational awareness at both the operational and tactical level which led to them being in that Police Station at that time. Lack of comms and lack of ammunition are red herrings: it happened too fast even for perfect comms to have saved them; and they didn't actually fire a round - had they done so, some of them may have been able to get away.