Napoleon, the man behind the myth

Napoleon, the man behind the myth

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Joshua Slocum submitted a new resource:

Napoleon, the man behind the myth - French revolution

Many books have been written about Napoleon, but so many books simply focus upon the myths and legends that abound , his passion for women and his leadership in battle

This excellent book sets out to explain the reality of Napoleon and to do away with the so many of these myths.

Using only original reference material and thoroughly researching the subject the author has produced an informative and accurate history of the great man, starting out with the relative poverty in Corsica the...
Read more about this resource...

Please don't tell me it says he was a misunderstood kid from a poor background and broken family so none of it was really his fault.

Please don't tell me it says he was a misunderstood kid from a poor background and broken family so none of it was really his fault.
I liked this bit "starting out with the relative poverty in Corsica". I'm sure there was great poverty in Corsica, not so much in the Bonaparte household.

I liked this bit "starting out with the relative poverty in Corsica". I'm sure there was great poverty in Corsica, not so much in the Bonaparte household.
relative compared to when he became Emperor.

The point is that in his time he was considered a great man and he certainly used the revolution to his own ends. The Admiration that was felt for him can be judged from the fact that Beethoven was originally going to dedicate the Eroica to Napoleon, but and this is the big but, Beethoven became disgusted with him latterly due to him proclaiming himself Emperor in 1804, and of course here was also the commission aspect.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Not such a great man on St Helena. An ogre who sacrificed thousands for his own self-aggrandisement and ended up with Russian troops in the Champs Elysees. The French veneration of him says something peculiarly nasty about them.

Apologies for thread drift already, but if you are ever in Paris a trip to The Dome Des Invalides to see his tomb is well worth it.

Apologies for thread drift already, but if you are ever in Paris a trip to The Dome Des Invalides to see his tomb is well worth it.
Indeed, thirty five years since I was there but I remember it well. Dôme des Invalides, tomb of Napoleon I - Musée de l'Armée.

The OP reviews a book probably worth reading; the author Zamoyski knows his stuff. Fortunately, after Boney got his FO tablet from Czar Alexander, against advice he invaded Russia. It all went downhill from there. If Boney showed one weakness it was in Moscow while it burned, and he dithered while trapped.

Not such a great man on St Helena. An ogre who sacrificed thousands for his own self-aggrandisement and ended up with Russian troops in the Champs Elysees. The French veneration of him says something peculiarly nasty about them.
Longwood was "A wretched hovel, a few feet square, which is perched upon a rock, unprovided with furniture, and without either shutters or curtains to the windows. This place must serve him for bedchamber, dressing room, dining room, study, and sitting room; and he is obliged to go out when it is necessary to have this one apartment cleaned. His meals, consisting of a few wretched dishes, are brought to him from a distance, as though he were a criminal in a dungeon. He is absolutely in want of the necessaries of life: the bread and wine are not only not such as he has been accustomed to, but are so bad that we loathe to touch them; water, coffee, butter, oil, and other articles are either not to be procured or are scarcely fit for use…" And he cursed the "reigning family of England" to the end.
- Emmanuel de Las Cases, author of the journal Mémorial de Sainte-Hélène, published 1823.

In his first tenure as Emporer, he was responsible for codifiying the written laws of France and was responsible for radically changing the way young men were educated. He totally reformed the French govt, post revolution and many of his ideas were used by other European nations.

Napoleonic Reforms - HistoryWiz napoleon and the French Revolution

However like most people who gain ultimate power, it all went to hs head and he had his arrse kicked at Waterloo!

Such is the way of dictators who want to rule Europe.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Noted! However his beloved and wonderful pistols are on display in the British School of Infantry!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
well according to the book there was, several families all lived in the same house, and as women married they were givein family land as a dowry, this meant that some families had to exist on very little land.quite a few of his siblings died young
I didnt want to quote the whole book as it is very comprehensive and educational, and very well laid out, thats for the readers to enjoy, but the Author certainly did his homework and pulls no punches

Noted! However his beloved and wonderful pistols are on display in the British School of Infantry!
And his hat and sword from Waterloo are in the German museum in Berlin. .................

.............To the victor, the spoils.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
And his hat and sword from Waterloo are in the German museum in Berlin. .................

.............To the victor, the spoils.
True you can thank the Prussian Blucher for his great help in the struggle at Waterloo, they deserve some of the spoil;s!